cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VOIP (Callmanager IP Phones) over half duplex wireless link

NPT_2
Level 2
Level 2

I have a remote site that currently has about 30 IP Phones (7940, 7941, 7960, 7961, etc.) that I have call control and voice traffic going to/from our central site backhauled on a T1 Circuit.

I have a new wireless circuit available between these sites that is 25 Mbits but is only half duplex.  My quesiton is will I run into significant voice problems if I backhaul the voice traffice over this new half duplex wireless circuit?

Any thoughts?

Jim

3 Replies 3

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You should not have any problem.

Bandwith matters, not duplex.

Delay and jitter matter too. How much one-way delay does the wireless link introduce compared to your existing wired circuit? The recommended microphone-to-speaker delay is 150ms. Jitter above 40ms will also be noticable.

To be short and sweet, I'll say the following.  It's not optimal but it'll likely work.  For reference, I had a customer doing Voice over Satellite with multiple hops and retransmission points across the world and utlimately entering into an encrypted tunnel leveraging in Internet connection spanning about 10 states - the delay RTT was over 700 milliseconds.  It wasn't always pretty and there were problems, but it worked.

No guarantees on anything, but just some perspective.

HTH - if so, please rate.