Views
Helpful
Replies

VoIP over fiber network

kentek3141
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings,

This is my first post. I hope I am at the correct forum.

My firm will be moving to a larger facility in the next few months. As budget is not an issue I want to install fiber throughtout our lan network.

My question is:

Is there a way to use the unused Ethernet port on the PCs the plug in the Cisco 7975 Voip phone and route back to Cisco router/switch.

4 Replies 4

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Say again in other words? What is that you want to do, and what a PC port has to do with fiber?

Most important, are you a network engineer or an end user asking ?

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Anything is possible; however, I would not recommend this:

• The workstation's NIC will not provide power over Ethernet. This will require you to use local AC/DC power bricks. Unless you plan on putting a UPS at every desk, this would eliminate the phone's ability to stay up during a power failure for emergency calls.
  • You are relying on the workstation to be turned on and Windows (or whatever OS) to act as a bridge into the data VLAN. If the PC is off or having difficulty, your phone will now suffer with it.
  • You will not be able to put the phone into a separate voice VLAN.
  • The cost of fiber SFPs, the additional power requirements, and lower port densities makes this a financially unjustifiable decision.
    • If you are looking for speed, Gigabit Ethernet will perform just fine.
    • If you are looking for electromagnetic interference avoidance, shielded twisted pair will solve this.
    • If you are looking for distance coverage, adding remote switch closets will solve this.
  • Fiber patch cables are much more susceptible to damage which will increase your support desk calls.

I'm always glad to hear when customers say "budget is not an issue"; however, don't waste money. I can think of a dozen other things to invest in instead of fiber to the desk.

Well said and ditto!

Hailey

Thank you for your prompt and excellant reply. I'll do it

your way. But, we will connect servers,Sans etc. with fiber.

I really appreciate your help.

ken wood

Camarillo CA

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: