Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VoIp setup over satellite

Hi All,

I have the following setup, 50 remote users are connected to HQ by satellite links (delay about 600 ms), each remote has 2 IP Phone where they are calling HQ.

I  don't have the option to add router(CM) for the remote can i use SIP protocol for such network with high delay

your suggestions are most welcome  

Thanks

3 Replies 3

Manish Gogna
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

As per the SRND, " If a voice service is hosted across a WAN where the one-way latency is 200 ms, for example, users might experience issues such as delay-to-dialtone or increased media cut-through delays. For other services such as presence, there might be no problem with a 200 ms latency." So, a delay of 600 ms will not provide a good user experience.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/srnd/collab09/clb09/models.html#pgfId-1044078

HTH

Manish

Thanks Manish for your response.

I understood the issue of have two CM servers talking to each other though high latency link.

i am wondering about the performance of call setup for SIP phone through such links; since the phone should communicate with SIP server during  call setup and ending.

Thanks

Abdallah

One of my customers has a remote site with a response time of 240ms.

Originally we installed CUBE for PSTN breakout at the remote site but the MTP was using the resources on the CUCM and users were reporting very poor call quality and delaying in the phone operations.

We installed a Subscriber server on the remote site and reconfigured the CUBE to use the local subscriber server. Which works fine.

As Manish suggested 600ms will not give a good user experience if it even works at all!

Good luck!

Matty

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: