cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VOIP switchport config best practices

jeremy.garman
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there.  I've got a Cisco infrastructure, but a non-Cisco VOIP platform (Mitel 3300).  I've been experiencing some call quality issues lately, so I was reviewing port configs on the access switches at three of my corporate sites.  These switchport configs were setup before I joined the company, and seem to have been setup by different people at different times and with different intentions (ie. wildly varying config).    

The access switches at each site tend to be Catalyst 3750 POE, but the switchport config can vary:

eg.  Site A:

interface FastEthernet1/0/10

description typical VOIP switchport

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport trunk native vlan 111

switchport mode trunk

srr-queue bandwidth share 10 10 60 20

srr-queue bandwidth shape  10  0  0  0

mls qos trust cos

auto qos voip trust

spanning-tree portfast trunk

end

eg. Site B:

interface FastEthernet3/0/10

switchport access vlan 122

switchport mode access

switchport voice vlan 120

spanning-tree portfast

end

eg. Site C:

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/10

switchport mode access

switchport port-security maximum 5

switchport port-security

switchport port-security violation restrict

srr-queue bandwidth share 1 30 35 5

priority-queue out

mls qos trust cos

macro description USERS

auto qos trust

storm-control broadcast level 70.00

spanning-tree portfast

end

At all sites, we typically have a single LAN drop at each end user work area, which connects to the VOIP phone, and then we use the PC port on the phone to connect the user's PC or laptop.  Between sites, we have 50Mbps TLS service, provided through our ISP/telco.

What is best practice for Cisco Cat 3750 POE (or other similar access switches) port config in order to accomodate both normal traffic and non-Cisco (Mitel 3300) VOIP traffice?

Thanks a ton in advance!!

- Jeremy

5 Replies 5

have a look at this explanation as QOS differs from site to site and company to company. You can't get a standard best practise template for QOS.

http://www.cenic.net/operations/documentation/CENIC-QoS0604/Deploying%20QoS%20Best%20Practices%20Jun%2004.pdf

Best Regards

Hermanus..Very good document. Thanks for sharing it

Please rate all useful posts

"The essence of christianity is not the enthronement but the obliteration of self --William Barclay"

Please rate all useful posts

You are most welcome!

Best Regards

Thank you very much for the reference document.  I'll read through it and follow any advice that simplifies my setup and ensures consistency throughout all my sites.  Much appreciated!!

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Duplicate posts. 

Go here:  https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2259344

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: