cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VOIP VLAN Architecture Question

cmi_marketing
Level 1
Level 1

I have a question that I was hoping someone could help with.  I am a Cisco VOIP noob, and have been tasked with implementing a new VOIP network in May.  I do not have the components, but trying to conceptualize my architecture, prior to purchasing components.  I am chasing my tail, and I am not comprehending how to utilize a Cisco VOIP VLAN in conjunction with a data VLAN's and 2 port switch on the phone.

I have 100 users, and have 144 ports total on my POE Cisco 2960's.  Totally confused on how implement and use the ports I have.  If I have 100 users, does that mean I need 200 ports to implement? 

Here is where I can not conceptualize communication.  Lets say that I have a face plate in an office labeled 7A, and 7A plugs into port 2 on my Cisco 2960 switch, and is designated to VLAN 2 for sales.  7A plugs into the 1st port on the Cisco phone, and the second port on the phone goes to the computer and should communicate on VLAN 2.  How am I supposed to get the phone to communicate on it's Voice VLAN if plugged into the Sales VLAN?  OR - If I create a VLAN for voice on the 2960 and plug that from the wall to the phone, how am I supposed to get the computer to communicate on Sales VLAN?  I am sure there is an easy solution that I am not getting.

2 Replies 2

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
How am I supposed to get the phone to communicate on it's Voice VLAN if plugged into the Sales VLAN? 

Use the following combo to allow a data VLAN and a voice VLAN on a switchport interface:

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan

switchport voice vlan

ai.solutions
Level 1
Level 1

As Leo said... but more specifically:

Your data VLAN is 2, and your new voice VLAN is 100

Switch# conf t

Switch(config)# int gig 1/0/2

Switch(config-if)# Description *** Port 7A - Phone ***

Switch(config-if)# switchport mode access

Switch(config-if)# switchport access vlan 2

Switch(config-if)# switchport voice vlan 100

Switch(config-if)# spanningtree portfast

The phone will on boot automatically place itself in vlan 100 for telephony and pass through vlan 2 to the PC port on the phone.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: