Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

What bottlenecks might there be for PoE to IP phones.

Hi.I've Installed a uc540w In an office and Initially connected the phone with a 1m Cat5e cable to the UC.Software download to the phone worked very quickly and the phone connected to the network without delay.

I then connected the phone to a wall outlet about 5m from the server room and the UC to the patch panel.This slowed down the phone Initialisation so much It was 40 minutes In and still downloading files.I left the building and I've tried to place a call now but I'm getting a network busy error.It was connecting fine to the PSTN with the 1m direct connection to the UC.

The cabling In the building Is 5e.I'm curious why there's such a difference In power over such a short distance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Hall of Fame Super Silver

So, same port different cable?  Try different cable.  Unless you are going over 100M with ethernet cable you should be just fine.

Chris

6 REPLIES

Are you sure the issue is speed?  What is the switch showing as negotiated deplex and speed?

is the port in correct VLAN? Are both ports configured the same? What switch are you connecting to? If Cisco can you  provide "sh run | interface" and "sh interface x/x"?

Chris

Hi.I'm connecting the UC to a patch panel that terminates at a wall outlet.I'm Just extending the ethernet length , no Intemediary switch Is Involved.

So, same port different cable?  Try different cable.  Unless you are going over 100M with ethernet cable you should be just fine.

Chris

It was the cabling on the patch panel and wall outlet.The electricians mismatched the wires.

Thanks!

Hall of Fame Super Gold

If you have a Cisco Catalyst switch, can you please specify the model?

Hi.I'm using only the UC540w , there's nothing connected between that and the wall outlet ,only the patch panel.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content