cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What changed the MS-SQL 'sa' account password ?

swensonj
Level 1
Level 1

I ran into the errors described in

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_tech_note09186a008014f8e8.shtml#topica

I would really like to hear some potential causes for the 'sa' password being different suddenly. I would especially like to hear these theories if any indicate broader instability in the SQL database or system image. Anything is appreciated, thank you.

(CUCM 4.2.3 SQL 8.00.2039 SP4)

1 Reply 1

drolemc
Level 6
Level 6

The sa account is created during the installation process and the sa account has full rights in the SQL Server environment. By default, the sa password is blank (NULL), unless you change the password when you run the MSDE Setup program. To conform with the best security practices, you must change the sa password to a strong password at the first opportunity.

How to verify if the SA password is blank

1. On the computer that is hosting the instance of MSDE to which you are connecting, open a command prompt window.

2. At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:

osql -U sa

This connects you to the local, default instance of MSDE by using the sa account. To connect to a named instance installed on your computer type:

osql -U sa -S servername\instancename

You are now at the following prompt:

Password:

Press ENTER again. This will pass a NULL (blank) password for sa.

If you are now at the following prompt, after you press ENTER, then you do not have a password for the sa account:

1>

We recommend that you create a non-NULL, strong password to conform with security practices.

However, if you receive the following error message, you have entered an incorrect password. This error message indicates that a password has been created for the sa account:

"Login Failed for user 'sa'."

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: