Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

When to use a tech-prefix and when not to?

I have (3) GKs. I have everything working correctly. Each GK has it's Tech-Prefix or type-prefix.

Off of each GK I have a couple h323 GWs. They have Tech-Prefixes also to

GK-A

gw-type-prefix 1#* default-technology

GK-B

gw-type-prefix 2#* default-technology

GK-C

gw-type-prefix 3#* default-technology

GWY-A

h323-gateway voip tech-prefix 1#

(this would then go GK-A)

GWY-B

h323-gateway voip tech-prefix 2#

(this would go to GK-B)

GWY-C

h323-gateway voip tech-prefix 3#

(This would go to GK-C)

Do I need to add the other tech-prefixs to each of the other GKs?

Example

gw-type-prefix 1#* default-technology

gw-type-prefix 2#*

gw-type-prefix 3#*

I'm guess I only need to use tech-prefix when I have a h323 end point such as a GWY or CUCM cluster correct?

Thanks much!

5 REPLIES

Re: When to use a tech-prefix and when not to?

A technology prefix identifies H.323 endpoints by type or class or identifies a resource pool to the gatekeeper. It is important to configure a default technology prefix on the gatekeeper and a technology prefix on the gateway for everything to work correctly. Select a technology prefix to identify the type of gatewayin this case, a voice gatewayto the gatekeeper

Defining a technology prefix is important for proper operation because in most cases, calls do not route properly if this step is not done. Typically, the called number matches a zone prefix, not a registered E.164 address. In this case, if a technology prefix is not also matched, the call is rejected

if helpful Rate

Thanks Marwan .

So are my configurations correct or did I go overboard on the prefixs?

Thanks much!

u can either leave to defualt and use the zone prefix to control the call transfere betwen GWs and GKs

or u could use gw-type-prefix as a area code for example for that zone or gateway instead of configuring zone prefix on the GK

for example

u wanna calls come to KA to start with 444 to be send to GWA

configure GWA to rigister with GKA and configure the gw-type-prefix like

h323-gateway voip tech-prefix 444

then check on the GK b useing

show gatekeeper zone status

show gatekeeper endpoints

Display the technology prefixes registered with the gatekeeper. Enter the show gatekeeper gw-type-prefix

if helpful Rate

Thanks buddy!

Hey quick question, have you ever seen a phased migration of GWs to GKs work? I cant seem to figure out how a phased migration would work?! If my existing GWs are using Dial-Peers to/from other GWs, the only way I see of moving the GWs to the GKs is to do a flash cut. (move all GWs to the GK at once)

cheers!

Hi Marwan,

Hi Marwan,

According your answer, Should tech-prefixs and full technology be used when you wouldn´t set the zone prefix on GK?

Shall I set all prefix in all Gatekeepers on the network (gw-type-prefix 1#*, 2#* and 3#*)?

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content