cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Will ASA 5505 PoE feature power on a Cisco 7911 series without the power adapter?

Enrique Soto M
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I don´t have experience with VoIP.

While reviewing information of Cisco ASA 5505 device I found that it has 2 ports where Cisco IP phones can be attached.

I have reset the ASA to its default settings and I get internet connection from any of the other 5 ports. But when I connect the IP Phone to the PoE ports it gets stuck on the detecting VLan - IP screen.

I tried the same cable that is used to connect (and power on) the Cisco 7911 phone at the office where it works normally.

My question is whether this device will power on a Cisco 7911 IP Phone without using any power adapter? Or is there any setting I need to change on the Phone to get pass this initial screen?

Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

So, your question is not about POE now?

Your issue is that the phone is not registering with CUCM? If so start by checking if th phone gets a proper IP address, see if you can ping it, then check to see if it is getting TFTP server IP address (these can be looked up under network settings on the phone). If proper tftp address is defined and look on CUCM to see if the phone is defined.

What exact message are you seegin on the phone?

HTH, please rate all useful posts!

Chris

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

So if you see something on the phone screen it means Poe is operational.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Thank you Chris.

I had also had this problem with another Cisco 7911 when I used a power adapter (No ASA that time). At first, it would stay on the same initial screen.

IT people came in and changed a setting on the phone and then it booted normally and worked fine. Which setting was it? I wouldn´t know.

Next thing I'll do is check the settings on both phones and compare.

Do you have any suggestions regarding the settings I need to change?

P.D.

At initial boot the assigned extension and the correct current time are displayed. But right after that phone goes to 00:31 02/27/09 time and stays there.

So, your question is not about POE now?

Your issue is that the phone is not registering with CUCM? If so start by checking if th phone gets a proper IP address, see if you can ping it, then check to see if it is getting TFTP server IP address (these can be looked up under network settings on the phone). If proper tftp address is defined and look on CUCM to see if the phone is defined.

What exact message are you seegin on the phone?

HTH, please rate all useful posts!

Chris

Thanks Chris,

Yes, you're right, this was a TFTP issue. I went about checking the settings and asked IT for the Call Manager IP address. Updated the phone info and there you are! Phone is up and working !!

Thanks again. Hopefully I will get a chance to work more with Cisco hardware and learn a little more, of course with your expertise guys.

Enrique

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: