Views
Helpful
Replies

xcoder can act as MTP?

Rajeev Samantha
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

I have small confusion in respect to  MTP, AFAIK transcoder can act as MTP however MTP cannot.  My question Can transcoder will also do DTMF conversion (in-band to OOB or vice-versa) ? if above statement say it will acts a MTP correct?

let say i have 2 region A & B, on B Side i have transcoder configured and on CUCM i am using Software MTP however Between region i have set to G729 Codec and within regsion is G711.

IVR A(OOB)-----CUCM---siptrunk(G711)--B GW(Inband)

What will happen in this scenario when B press keypad ie DTMF?

Regards

Rajeev.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Manish Gogna
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Rajeev,

If no MTP is present in the MRGL of the device then a transcoder is allocated from the MRGL and it acts as an MTP. The reverse is not true, means an MTP cannot act as a transcoder. In your scenario because there is a DTMF mismatch so CUCM will first look for allocating an MTP , if no MTP is found then it will look for a transcoder in the same MRGL and allocate it if found.

As per the following link

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/admin/7_0_1/ccmsys/cucm-accm-701/a05trans.html#wp1022809

Using Transcoders as MTPs

Hardware-based transcoder resources also support MTP and/or TRP functionality. In this capacity, when the Cisco Unified Communications Manager determines that an endpoint in a call requires an MTP or TRP, it can allocate a transcoder resource and inserts it into the call, where it acts like an MTP transcoder.

Cisco Unified Communications Manager supports MTP and TRP and transcoding functionality simultaneously. For example, if a call originates from a Cisco Unified IP Phone (located in the G723 region) to NetMeeting (located in the G711 region), one transcoder resource supports MTP and transcoding functionality simultaneously.

If a software MTP resource is not available when it is needed, the call tries to connect without using an MTP resource and MTP/TRP services. If hardware transcoder functionality is required (to convert one codec to another) and a transcoder is not available, the call will fail.

HTH

Manish

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Manish Gogna
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Rajeev,

If no MTP is present in the MRGL of the device then a transcoder is allocated from the MRGL and it acts as an MTP. The reverse is not true, means an MTP cannot act as a transcoder. In your scenario because there is a DTMF mismatch so CUCM will first look for allocating an MTP , if no MTP is found then it will look for a transcoder in the same MRGL and allocate it if found.

As per the following link

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/admin/7_0_1/ccmsys/cucm-accm-701/a05trans.html#wp1022809

Using Transcoders as MTPs

Hardware-based transcoder resources also support MTP and/or TRP functionality. In this capacity, when the Cisco Unified Communications Manager determines that an endpoint in a call requires an MTP or TRP, it can allocate a transcoder resource and inserts it into the call, where it acts like an MTP transcoder.

Cisco Unified Communications Manager supports MTP and TRP and transcoding functionality simultaneously. For example, if a call originates from a Cisco Unified IP Phone (located in the G723 region) to NetMeeting (located in the G711 region), one transcoder resource supports MTP and transcoding functionality simultaneously.

If a software MTP resource is not available when it is needed, the call tries to connect without using an MTP resource and MTP/TRP services. If hardware transcoder functionality is required (to convert one codec to another) and a transcoder is not available, the call will fail.

HTH

Manish