Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

xcoder can act as MTP?

Hello

I have small confusion in respect to  MTP, AFAIK transcoder can act as MTP however MTP cannot.  My question Can transcoder will also do DTMF conversion (in-band to OOB or vice-versa) ? if above statement say it will acts a MTP correct?

let say i have 2 region A & B, on B Side i have transcoder configured and on CUCM i am using Software MTP however Between region i have set to G729 Codec and within regsion is G711.

IVR A(OOB)-----CUCM---siptrunk(G711)--B GW(Inband)

What will happen in this scenario when B press keypad ie DTMF?

Regards

Rajeev.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cisco Employee

Hi Rajeev,If no MTP is

Hi Rajeev,

If no MTP is present in the MRGL of the device then a transcoder is allocated from the MRGL and it acts as an MTP. The reverse is not true, means an MTP cannot act as a transcoder. In your scenario because there is a DTMF mismatch so CUCM will first look for allocating an MTP , if no MTP is found then it will look for a transcoder in the same MRGL and allocate it if found.

As per the following link

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/admin/7_0_1/ccmsys/cucm-accm-701/a05trans.html#wp1022809

Using Transcoders as MTPs

Hardware-based transcoder resources also support MTP and/or TRP functionality. In this capacity, when the Cisco Unified Communications Manager determines that an endpoint in a call requires an MTP or TRP, it can allocate a transcoder resource and inserts it into the call, where it acts like an MTP transcoder.

Cisco Unified Communications Manager supports MTP and TRP and transcoding functionality simultaneously. For example, if a call originates from a Cisco Unified IP Phone (located in the G723 region) to NetMeeting (located in the G711 region), one transcoder resource supports MTP and transcoding functionality simultaneously.

If a software MTP resource is not available when it is needed, the call tries to connect without using an MTP resource and MTP/TRP services. If hardware transcoder functionality is required (to convert one codec to another) and a transcoder is not available, the call will fail.

HTH

Manish

1 REPLY
Cisco Employee

Hi Rajeev,If no MTP is

Hi Rajeev,

If no MTP is present in the MRGL of the device then a transcoder is allocated from the MRGL and it acts as an MTP. The reverse is not true, means an MTP cannot act as a transcoder. In your scenario because there is a DTMF mismatch so CUCM will first look for allocating an MTP , if no MTP is found then it will look for a transcoder in the same MRGL and allocate it if found.

As per the following link

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/admin/7_0_1/ccmsys/cucm-accm-701/a05trans.html#wp1022809

Using Transcoders as MTPs

Hardware-based transcoder resources also support MTP and/or TRP functionality. In this capacity, when the Cisco Unified Communications Manager determines that an endpoint in a call requires an MTP or TRP, it can allocate a transcoder resource and inserts it into the call, where it acts like an MTP transcoder.

Cisco Unified Communications Manager supports MTP and TRP and transcoding functionality simultaneously. For example, if a call originates from a Cisco Unified IP Phone (located in the G723 region) to NetMeeting (located in the G711 region), one transcoder resource supports MTP and transcoding functionality simultaneously.

If a software MTP resource is not available when it is needed, the call tries to connect without using an MTP resource and MTP/TRP services. If hardware transcoder functionality is required (to convert one codec to another) and a transcoder is not available, the call will fail.

HTH

Manish

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content