Views
Helpful
Replies

IPv6 and ASN for different regions

S891
Level 2
Level 2

Hi,

Our head office in US has a /32 IPv6 address and 4 byte ASN. Our branch office is in Asia. 

Can we slice a /48 for the Asia office? Would it create a problem due to different regions?

Also can we get a separate ASN for Asia branch office? 

What would be the best approach?

3 Replies 3

Jose Quesada
Level 1
Level 1
In principle, it is not possible to leak an IPv6 block from ARIN on the APAC region. You would need to confirm that with the ISP, as maybe they allow something like that to happen, thought it is not a best practice.
I would recommend you get a new block from APAC Internet registry that you can announce on from the APAC region.
Thanks!
Jose.

Thanks Jose! In some cases I have seen address leaking is permitted in IPv4, but I am not sure if this would be completely unacceptable for IPv6. 

Can you also tell me whether the IPv4 ASN work for IPv6 or it requires a new ASN? 

Hi Jose,

It is certainly possible to get IPv6 address allocation from ARIN and to advertise the whole block and/or a more specific prefix in other geographical areas. Cisco is a good example of that. We own a /32 and we advertise it in different locations (Europe, ASIAPAC, NA, etc).

Regards,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: