cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IPv6 and Enhanced Object Tracking

Mohamed Ramram
Level 1
Level 1

Is there a way I can track the reachability of an IPv6 subnet with enhanced object tracking on Cisco ISR G2 routers (just like on IPv4)?

Setup is as follow:

We have an active and standby router on which we configure hsrp on the LAN.

The hsrp standby priority is controlled with a track object that tracks the reachability of an ip subnet (usually the default route).

EOT doesn't seem to support tracking of IPv6 subnets (at least not on the Cisco ISR's).

And tracking the interface state is not an option since the interface never goes down.

Any help is appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

chintan-shah
Level 3
Level 3

You can use option of having IPv6IP tunnel and track tunnel interface since EoT is not available for IPv6 like IPv4.

Something like this assuming you have your WAN interface dual stack ( i.e. IPv4 also running).

interface Tunnel 1

no ip address

ipv6 address

tunnel mode ipv6ip

track 1 interface Tunnel1 line-protocol

This will bring down Tunnel1 if remote IPv4 is not reachable and since you have IPv6 address configured on tunnel1 it can be used to track for IPv6 HSRP switchover…

Please note that you don’t need to configure any tunnel other side since it is unidirectional ☺

Give a try it works for me ☺

Regards,

Chintan

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

chintan-shah
Level 3
Level 3

You can use option of having IPv6IP tunnel and track tunnel interface since EoT is not available for IPv6 like IPv4.

Something like this assuming you have your WAN interface dual stack ( i.e. IPv4 also running).

interface Tunnel 1

no ip address

ipv6 address

tunnel mode ipv6ip

track 1 interface Tunnel1 line-protocol

This will bring down Tunnel1 if remote IPv4 is not reachable and since you have IPv6 address configured on tunnel1 it can be used to track for IPv6 HSRP switchover…

Please note that you don’t need to configure any tunnel other side since it is unidirectional ☺

Give a try it works for me ☺

Regards,

Chintan

Thanks Chintan.