cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ipv6 isp

Joli Martinez
Level 1
Level 1

I want to start testing and playing with IPv6. I barely (and I use that term lightly) understand the way ipv6 works,  but comming from a strong ipv4 background it shouldnt be that difficult.  My question is how do I get an internet ipv6 assigned to me.  Do I call up my ISP and ask them for one or pick one out of the sky and hope it works or do I have to use a tunnel?

2 Replies 2

Marcin Latosiewicz
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Joli,

IPv6 is still routed so you have two (or more) options.

2001:db8::/32 is for your documentation purposes, you can run it to test configurations locally.

You got to ISP they will typically (might be depending on your actual connection type) assigng you a ULA (

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4193) + globally unique unicast /48 (enterprise) subnet or /64 (for end user). 

If your ISP does not offer native IPv6 support a lot of mechanism exist. 6rd, 6to4, ISATAP tunnels. I think you can even still establish GRE to HE and have IPv6 with them.

M.

Kyle Lenderlof
Level 1
Level 1

Hey Joli,

you also can get Provider Independent Address Space from a Regional Internet Registry, but you have to accomplish some conditions to get such an address space. If your prefix shouldn't change when you switch to another ISP.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: