Helpful
Replies

OSPFv3 basic question

martin.bernier2
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have 2 questions concerning OSPFv3 with Address-Family (RFC 6969/5838):

1) Does the OSPFv3 IPv4 address family can establish directly a neighbour relationship with an OSPFv2 (IPv4) node (without redisbribution) ?

2) Does the "old" OSPFv3 based on RFC 5240 (without address family support) can establish directly a neighbour relationship with an OSPFv3 node based on RFC 6969/5838 (i'm talking of IPv6-only node of course) ?

Best regards,

---

Martin

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Nagendra Kumar Nainar
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Martin,

1) Does the OSPFv3 IPv4 address family can establish directly a neighbour relationship with an OSPFv2 (IPv4) node (without redisbribution) ?

No. As like traditional limitation, OSPFv3 is not backward compatible with OSPFv2. OSPFv2 will send the hellos to 224.0.0.5 (IPv4 addr) while OSPFv3 wil lsend to FF02::5 (IPv6 address).

2) Does the "old" OSPFv3 based on RFC 5240 (without address family support) can establish directly a neighbour relationship with an OSPFv3 node based on RFC 6969/5838 (i'm talking of IPv6-only node of course) ?

This is something I was thinking to try in local setup for quite sometime and havent yet. Per section 2.4 of RFC5838, it should support it for IPv6 AF.

When an OSPFv3 router participates in an AF (sets the AF-bit in
      the Options field), it MUST discard Hello packets having the AF-
      bit clear in the Options field.  The only exception is the Base
      IPv6 unicast AF, where this check MUST NOT be done (for backward
      compatibility).

If someone have it tried and see a different behaviour, they can comment

HTH,

Nagendra

View solution in original post

Harold Ritter
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Salut Martin,

As Nagendra pointed out, RFC5838 is backward compatible and will therefore interoperate with previous versions of ospfv3 that support ipv6 unicast only.

Regards

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Nagendra Kumar Nainar
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Martin,

No. As like traditional limitation, OSPFv3 is not backward compatible with OSPFv2. OSPFv2 will send the hellos to 224.0.0.5 (IPv4 addr) while OSPFv3 wil lsend to FF02::5 (IPv6 address).

This is something I was thinking to try in local setup for quite sometime and havent yet. Per section 2.4 of RFC5838, it should support it for IPv6 AF.

When an OSPFv3 router participates in an AF (sets the AF-bit in
      the Options field), it MUST discard Hello packets having the AF-
      bit clear in the Options field.  The only exception is the Base
      IPv6 unicast AF, where this check MUST NOT be done (for backward
      compatibility).

If someone have it tried and see a different behaviour, they can comment

HTH,

Nagendra

Thank you Nagendra,

This is really interesting, i just realized that even using IPv4 Address family in OSPFv6, hello packet are still sent to an IPv6 multicast address...

Regards,

Harold Ritter
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Salut Martin,

As Nagendra pointed out, RFC5838 is backward compatible and will therefore interoperate with previous versions of ospfv3 that support ipv6 unicast only.

Regards

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: