Views
Helpful
Replies

RDNSS in Cisco Nexus OS (Nexus 7000)

mmahersuse
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

So i saw that RDNSS (ipv6 nd ra dns-server seconds) option does exist in Cisco IOS. Since we are using a pair of Nexus 7000 as Core Router. I could not find the same for Nexus-OS.

( RDNSS or the abillity to configure IPv6 DNS Server(s) via RA (RFC 6106) )

are they any plans to implement this features to Nexus-OS in near Future? Because we really would like test our Software with the Cisco Nexus as Router and not trying to implement some other Router Solution for this.

Regards,
Max

2 Replies 2

Tim Martin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I have heard that 6106 has been talked about. I do not have confirmation of when it will show up. There is a more fundamental issue as it relates to RDNSS support. We have heard from Microsoft that they will ignore the option (25). Meaning that if you have MSFT devices on those segments, you will need to set the O flag and/or consider running DHCPv6 (M flag)

Microsoft supports RDNSS on Windows 10. 

According to 

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/nx-os/unicast/configuration/guide/b-7k-Cisco-Nexus-7000-Series-NX-OS-Unicast-Routing-Configuration-Guide-Release/n7k_unicast_config_ipv6.html#task_99D8BFAC409F451C8FD4037571708099

it also now seems to be possible to configure that on Nexus.

"You can configure up to eight DNS servers to advertise with Router Advertisement."

Does anybody know which version starts having that support? At least 6.2(16) doesn't know the "ipv6 nd ra dns server" command. Or do I need to enable a specific feature?

Sebastian