Views
Helpful
Replies

RIPng Next Hop RTE

kozorezdi
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone,

I can't catch by wireshark the packet RIPng with Next Hop RTE.  I can see a lot of packets with RTEs, but no information about the Next Hop (no 0xFF in the metric field).  I was trying to do it with a few different schemes, but no result...   For example:

A---------B

|            |

|            |

|  HUB  |

|

|

C-----NET-C

Only A and B into a RIPng process.  NET-C is redistributed as static into the RIPng process.  B added it to the routing table with next hop A.

I was expected that A is sending C as NextHop for the prefix.   How I can see the packet RIPng with the Next Hop RTE?

Thank you in advance.

--

Best regards,

Dmitry

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Dmitry,

The use of the Next Hop RTE is purely optional in RIPng (just as it was in RIPv2), and it is up to the implementor's choice to decide if the implementation is going to honor and properly fill in this field. Cisco's RIPng implementation does not seem to use the Next Hop RTE in RIPng at all, so unfortunately, you are not going to see any RIPng updates carrying this field sent by Cisco routers. I have tested it on 15.3 IOS just now.

Sorry to disappoint you.

Best regards,
Peter

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Dmitry,

The use of the Next Hop RTE is purely optional in RIPng (just as it was in RIPv2), and it is up to the implementor's choice to decide if the implementation is going to honor and properly fill in this field. Cisco's RIPng implementation does not seem to use the Next Hop RTE in RIPng at all, so unfortunately, you are not going to see any RIPng updates carrying this field sent by Cisco routers. I have tested it on 15.3 IOS just now.

Sorry to disappoint you.

Best regards,
Peter

Hi Peter,

Thank you for your message and check.  I needed some confirmation about the situation.

Thanks a lot!

--

Dmitry

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: