cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Small business routers supporting NAT64?

TomF
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We have a legacy product that does not support IPv6 but needs to be connected to a IPv6 network. I am therefore searching for device that supports NAT64. The cost for the solution must be limited so I would prefer a device in the lower price range (e.g. small business equipment).

Can one of you recommend one or more Cisco products which would fit this description?

Thanks for the help.

Regards,

TF            

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello Andrew,

I just fineshed researching on software advisor and you are (unfortunately) right.

I have a 1921 and it does not appear to support NAT64, which is odd given that Cisco policy is to support IPv6 in their base feature set. Additionally for stateless NAT64 to work it would take way less resources than plain IPv4 NAT/PAT which has to keep session information.

Maybe I should open a case and request a bug to be filed (priority6: enhancement). I just need to research if NAT64 is part of IPv6 specification.

Cheers

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

fabios
Level 1
Level 1

Hello TomF,

it is kind of difficult to answer your question since you are not stating what the router should do.

Are you looking for a fixed configuration (8xx series) or modular (19xx)?

Cisco is now integrating IPv6 in the ipbase feature set (which is now a misnomer since the ISR routers starting from 15.x have a common image with features unlocked by licensing codes).

In any case (all of) IPv6 is in the base image. Once you define what kind of interfaces you need the model would come out (search products on Cisco home page) then look for the IOS Feature Navigator (in Support tools) and see if the base image of your product supports NAT64 (I am 99% sure it would since NAT 64 is one of the transition mechanisms and is part of the IPv6 protocol).

Hope this helps

Fabio

I am trying to set up a IPv6 lab. I am trying to establish connectivity between IPv4 network to IPv6 network. I have CISCO2921/K9  router. 

I have done the configuration with the reference of>>> http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios-xml/ios/ipaddr_nat/configuration/15-mt/nat-15-mt-book/iadnat64-stateful.html#GUID-D99E4D45-F2E9-44FE-855A-41F594B0F046 

but no luck. tried searching on Cisco but could not figure out whether CISCO2921/K9 supports IPv6 NAT64 or not.

Please suggest. how can I verify this?

Thanks in advance !

Parmanand 

Andrew Yourtchenko
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Fabio,

NAT64 is one of the transition mechanisms but at the moment the lowest end device supporting it is asr1000 on IOS XE.

ASA software version 9.0 will support NAT64 when it ships so the smaller ASA appliances may be a choice then.

--a

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Hello Andrew,

I just fineshed researching on software advisor and you are (unfortunately) right.

I have a 1921 and it does not appear to support NAT64, which is odd given that Cisco policy is to support IPv6 in their base feature set. Additionally for stateless NAT64 to work it would take way less resources than plain IPv4 NAT/PAT which has to keep session information.

Maybe I should open a case and request a bug to be filed (priority6: enhancement). I just need to research if NAT64 is part of IPv6 specification.

Cheers

Hi Guys,

thanks for the feedback. So I do not have many options:

a) Wait for R9.0 (ASA5505). I see that the latest software version is 8.4.4 (June 2012). Any idea when version 9 will become available?

b) use NAT-PT (NAT-PT is however not recommended!)

Other suggestions?

Cheers

Andrew Yourtchenko
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Tom,

Ping me via mail - we will see depending on your specific scenario if there is something else...

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: