Views
Helpful
Replies

% Link local requires link-local keyword

Matt Wilson
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I'm trying to apply a link-local address to a vlan interface on my C887VAM-K9 and keep getting the following error:

R887VAM(config)#interface Vlan10 
R887VAM(config-if)#ipv6 address link-local FE80::/10 eui-64
R887VAM(config-if)#

According to the document Here, that's the format to give an interface a link local EUI-64 address. I have IPv6 unicast routing enabled.

Searching Google for this error shows nothing. Can anyone show me what I'm doing wrong please?

Matt. 

5 Replies 5

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

What software version are you using?

Hi Philip, I'm using 15.5(3)M5 (MD) on it. It has the latest ROMMON & VDSL firmware.

Try putting link-local at the end of the line.

Thanks mlund. That does work but the Cisco document "IPv6 Unicast Routing" states that there are three commands that can be used:

• ipv6 address ipv6-prefix/prefix-length eui-64
• ipv6 address ipv6-prefix/prefix-length link-local
• ipv6 address ipv6-prefix/prefix-length anycast

I can't seem to get the first one to be accepted by the vlan interface. I'm trying to create a link-local IPv6 address on this interface using the EUI-64 format. I am only new to IPv6 and I think perhaps I'm confusing some terms here.

ecanogut
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

@Matt Wilson It's been a while since your question so I hope you have been able to configure link-local. Just to provide the answer to your question for further reference, in order to configure link-local word you need to remove the prefix from the ipv6 address so taking your original config:

R887VAM(config)#interface Vlan10 
R887VAM(config-if)#ipv6 address link-local FE80::/10 eui-64

If you configure the ipv6 address using ipv6 address link-local FE80:: eui-64 link-local it should work.