Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Can Cisco Jabber/CUPS communicate with public IM Windows Live Messenger?

The short:

Has anyone ever / does anyone run Cisco Jabber/CUPS and successfully communicate with external folk using Public IM Windows Live Messenger (and GoogleTalk).

The long:

We're in the process of drawing up some design documents to put forward a business case to deploy CUPS/Jabber.

The server team are putting together a design doco to deploy Lync and we're putting together the competing document to deploy Jabber.

We presently use CUCM/UCCX/CUC 8.02+ (and would likely be prepared to upgrade to newer editions if required).

We don't even want to begin trying to integrate Lync with the Cisco UC setup we have.

Anyway - at this stage - one of the big requirements is for folks in our company to continue to be able to chat to their friends and family (go figure) - who happen to use Windows Live Messenger and some others who use GoogleTalk.

Our company wants to remove Live Messenger (and GT) from our SOE and deploy either Lync or Jabber - but the requirement is that people can still talk to folk on the public IM Windows Live Messenger (among other things).

Trying to find this info is near on impossible.

In the latest Interdomain Federation Guide here - http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cups/8_6/english/integration_notes/Federation/CUP_8.6_Interdomain_Federation.html

It states:

XMPP Federation Overview

Cisco Unified Presence Release 8.x supports XMPP federation with the following enterprises:

• Cisco WebEx Connect Release 6.0

• IBM Sametime Release 8.2 and 8.5

GoogleTalk

• (Another) Cisco Unified Presence Release 8.x enterprise

- No mention of Live Messenger - but does mention GT (half good for me).

In this FAQ here: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/voicesw/ps6789/ps10969/jabber_faq.htm

Which appears to be for some federal government version of Jabber? "Jabber XCP"

Sates:

Q:Does Jabber MomentIM federate with public IM systems such as Google Talk, AOL Instant Messenger, Windows Live Messenger, or Yahoo! Messenger?

A: Google Talk is based on XMPP, so it interoperates with Jabber MomentIM. The AIM Gateway from Jabber, Inc., is an optional add-on that allows Jabber MomentIM users to communicate with AOL users. Open-source transports allow Jabber MomentIM to communicate with users of Microsoft Windows Live Messenger and Yahoo! Messenger.

Has anyone ever / does anyone run Cisco Jabber/CUPS and successfully communicate with external folk using Public IM Windows Live Messenger (and GoogleTalk).

Any assistance on this matter would be greatly appreciated

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Cisco Employee

Can Cisco Jabber/CUPS communicate with public IM Windows Live Me

Hey Brett,

I can confirm that CUPS server can successfully integrate with GoogleTalk. I have worked with a few customer in the past to get this working. One thing to note is that GoogleTalk does not support TLS.

Currently, MSN messenger is not officially supported.

- Colin

Cisco Employee

Unfortunately there is no roadmap for this form of integration.

- Colin

7 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Hey Brett,

I can confirm that CUPS server can successfully integrate with GoogleTalk. I have worked with a few customer in the past to get this working. One thing to note is that GoogleTalk does not support TLS.

Currently, MSN messenger is not officially supported.

- Colin

Hi Colin,

Thanks for the quick reply and... oh dear

You wouldn't happen to be aware if the release of UC 9 with Jabber 9 will introduce this support or not?

Cheers,

Brett

Cisco Employee

Unfortunately there is no roadmap for this form of integration.

- Colin

Thanks Colin. Appreciate speedy reply.

Hi Colin,

Just had another thought on the matter...

By 'not supported' do you mean that it could/does 'work' but Cisco won't support (TAC) issues with it?

I had a look at this article here:

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/12/microsoft-announce-windows-live-messenger-xmpp-access

Which indicates that Live Messenger is now open to the public via XMPP. Is this a case that Cisco Jabber needs to be coded specially to connect with Live Messenger? Or is it simply a setting of values somewhere?

I do recall that pre-Cisco Jabber was able to communicate with MSN folk.

Your thoughts? (officially/unofficially)

Cheers,

Brett

Cisco Employee

Hey Brett,

If MSN is fully XMPP compliant (which is may not be) it could work. This hasn't been tested by QA yet so as you said, it wouldn't be supported by TAC.

- Colin

Arrrrrg.

Suspect that they'll deploy Lync now

Oh well, thanks again for the info.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content