cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Jabber Config generator

Sean Grubb
Level 1
Level 1

Afternoon! We are looking to mass deploy Jabber client for Windows ver. 11.8. On some of the user endpoints we already have client version 10.6.x but those were all installed manually. With the 1,000+ users we have in our environment, this has proven to be a daunting task. With the newer versions having the ability to broadcast messages to all users among other features, we've decided to go the mass deployment route. On top of that, I need to change some of the configurations. Previously I used a config generator and I found one here:http://www.ciscojabber.io/ for 11.6 but will this work for 11.8? Also with mass deployment, would we need to create a custom install file that would be able to autofill the IM&Presence server IP address and pull the config file from the tftp server as soon as a user starts it for the first time?

Sorry for all the questions, just haven't done things this way before in our environment, at least not with Jabber.

Thanks in advance for your assistance!!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The format for the jabber-config.xml has not changed a lot, but you want to read the parameter reference guide to make sure they're not using a parameter that might have been removed/changed, and anything else that has been added, and the file generator doesn't have, but you might use in your environment.

You can create your custom MSI with that info, or just configure the SRVs, I prefer to use the SRVs as that makes changes easier.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The format for the jabber-config.xml has not changed a lot, but you want to read the parameter reference guide to make sure they're not using a parameter that might have been removed/changed, and anything else that has been added, and the file generator doesn't have, but you might use in your environment.

You can create your custom MSI with that info, or just configure the SRVs, I prefer to use the SRVs as that makes changes easier.

HTH

java

Very cool! I'll check into the config generator as far as the parameters go. With the SRV...could you explain that a little more? Or send me a link that could help enlighten me?

Thanks!

The jabber documentation has a chapter on service discovery which explains which methods are available, and how they work, including SRVs.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/unified-communications/jabber-windows/tsd-products-support-series-home.html

If you have not reviewed any Jabber documentation, that should be first step.

HTH

java

Wonderful! I admittedly was only really involved in the installation of clients on user endpoints when we first decided to get this out there and not so knowledgeable about the ins and outs so to speak. I've been doing quite a bit more research into it this time and your answers definitely helped!

Hey Jaime! Thanks for all your help in this issue and in others you have assisted with before, but I have another question:

Before we get going with upgrading clients and pushing out via Group Policy, I am going to do some testing with the current environment. I have the jabber-config-defaults.xml file on our tftp server and when generating the config there is a field " Auto Update URL"

I believe this to be the location of the actual xml file on the server. If it is just in the root directory of the server, would this most likely be https://172.xxx.xxx.xx/jabber-config-defaults.xml ?

Thanks in advance!

Yes, the .xml you create for Jabber just need to be in the root of the TFTP, and that Auto Update URL has nothing to do with the location of the .xml, have you reviewed the parameter reference guide?

HTH

java

I'm reading through it now. Oh I thought the auto update url was supposed to have the file location in it's parameter...whoops.

See when all this got started before, I wasn't in on any of the initial setup, I just got stuck with end user installs and configuring from there, but now that they want to do other things with it and make sure every user has access to it on their devices (windows, ios, android), I am becoming intimately familiar with how this is supposed to work. So a lot of things I still am unclear about.

Alright! So great news on my end: I successfully created the xml file for 10.6 of Jabber, uploaded it and upon doing a clean install of Jabber and logging in the first time, it pulled all of the settings I wanted it to, even the Custom Tab I setup! Exciting stuff for a newbie such as myself!

I did notice though that if I signed out, reset the client, and then signed back in, that the custom tab created from the xml config file duplicates itself. So then I have 2 custom tabs I can't get rid of. But I may have done something wrong when setting that up.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: