Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Jabber Data Usage

silvanjappert1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys,

I'm wondering if there are any stats out there that show how much data is used when on calls using the Cisco Jabber client?  Is it a significant amount?  When on WIFI it isn't really an issue however we will be allowing our staff members to connect via SecureConnect (Android) & VPN (iphone) when outside of WIFI zones so I need to make sure that 1-2gb data plans will not be significantly affected for our sales staff.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It will use either G.711 or G.729 so the standard bandwidth calculations apply. I believe that the app forces itself down to G.729 if you allow connectivity over cellular data instead of just wifi. The decision of 711/729 over wifi is up to whatever device pool region it gets tagged with (i.e. pay attention to device mobility if enabled).

This site helps you add up the overhead easily: http://www.bandcalc.com/  It does not account for the overhead added by the MTLS packet header.

Please rate helpful replies.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It will use either G.711 or G.729 so the standard bandwidth calculations apply. I believe that the app forces itself down to G.729 if you allow connectivity over cellular data instead of just wifi. The decision of 711/729 over wifi is up to whatever device pool region it gets tagged with (i.e. pay attention to device mobility if enabled).

This site helps you add up the overhead easily: http://www.bandcalc.com/  It does not account for the overhead added by the MTLS packet header.

Please rate helpful replies.

so G.729 is rated at 8kbps?    so lets say a user spends 250 minutes on the jabber client..how much data is that?

I don't have an exact figure since I'm unsure how much MTLS or cellular data frame headers add. If we use generic overhead down to layer three we're at least 378Mb for 250 minutes (25.2 * 60 * 250). That figure assumes RTCP enabled.

Thank you!  thats close enough, just needed an estimate to give our users for data plan usage when outside of Wi-Fi.