cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Jabber for Windows needs UI improvements

adam_kauffman1
Level 1
Level 1

My company recently switched from Outlook IM to Jabber IM and it has been an extremely negative experience.

I now miss chat opportunities the majority of the time and it makes me look bad. I have some solutions to the usability problems we are facing.

#1 Customizable alert sound. This is easy. It's available in every IM application ever made except Cisco Jabber. I can't hear the default sound so just let me choose my own and don't worry about it anymore. I want 2 sounds: one for a new conversation and one for a reply in existing conversation. This way I don't miss new conversations while I am in a chat.

#2 Individual chat windows for different conversations. The ability to group all chats in to one window is nice but not the default behavior I would want. I had a conversation with one person and missed a second conversation later because it showed up in the same window and I didn't hear the alert sound. I might want to see 2 chats at the same time without having to tab between them. Sometimes I have 3 conversations on different monitors. Give me some flexibility here.

#3 Option to Cache login credentials. Why would I want to log in to yet another app every damn day? Just a check mark to cache the login and a checkmark to auto-login on startup. You have encryption. Use it.

11 Replies 11

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Please get in touch with your AM to submit a those as a PER

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

I don't know what that means

If you want something to be considered in the future for a product, you need to submit a PER (Product Enhancement Request), and you do that via your AM (Account Team)

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Christopher McAlpin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Adam,

For issue #2 :

From the Conversations, you can select a conversation and then choose the option to Show this chat in a new window. It's in the bottom right of the chat.

See screen shot attachment

That doesn't solve the problem which is: I don't see new conversations because they show up in the old window. I need a new conversation to pop up in a new window so it is distinguished as being different from the chat window that is already open. Can I change the default behavior?

Hi Adam,

Regarding start new chats in separate window, I checked with the product team, and you can not currently configure that. It is on the product backlog for a future release though.

-Christopher

That's good. Thank you.

Christopher McAlpin
Community Manager
Community Manager

For issue #1:

The Jabber team has received feedback about the default IM notification sound being to low. While not yet customizable, in Jabber for Windows 11.0 they have changed the default IM sound and it is louder. They will monitor feedback regarding the new IM sound during the 11.0 Early Adopter Trials.

Jabber for Windows 11.0 is currently in trials and targeted for general release in June.

Perhaps you would like to participate:

To join the Early Adopter Trial:

You must join the Cisco Customer Connection Program (CCP) first if you haven’t already, and then you will have access to the Private - CCP space where you can register for a Jabber trial.

Getting Started:

1.    Please go to the CCP public landing page: www.cisco.com/go/ccp

2.    If you are already a CCP member, login with your cisco.com (CCO) ID.

3.    If you are not currently a CCP member, follow the instructions to join the CCP and then return to step 1 above.

4.    Once you’ve logged in, click on the link “Go to the private member community”.

5.    Once you are in the Private – CCP space, click on the “Access & sign up for trials” button in the Early Adopters and Beta Trials section.

6.    Select the Jabber trial of interest, read the requirements, and register for the trial.

All the best,

Christopher McAlpin

Early Adopter Program - Customer Engagement

Cloud Collaboration Technology Group

Cisco Systems

That's insane. If the sound was customizable you could just offer a different .wav file for people to download without having to update the whole program just to change one sound effect. Heck, you could offer a library of options. Or you could let the user worry about it. Involving a simple thing like a sound effect in your software development cycle wastes a lot of time for everyone involved.

Christopher McAlpin
Community Manager
Community Manager

For issue #3:

You might want to talk to your IT department, Jabber can be deployed in various deployment models with different authentication types and configuration settings. Many of these settings are controlled by your administrators configuration settings.

My Jabber does remember my username and password, so I never have to enter it.

Great, thanks. I will look in to it.