Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Cisco jabber w/ MS Lync 2013

Hi all,

I am hoping someone can clear up a question I have about Cisco Jabber w/ MS Lync 2013 integration.

I'll give you the outline:

My organisation needed to setup an IM system and discussions were still on-gong for an ip based phone system. Due to the uncertainy of what the providor would be the decision was made to go with MS Lync for IM in the thinking that it could integrate with whichever solution we went with. We got a MS Lync 2013 standard server up and going and clients deployed.

Then finally a decision was made to go with a Cisco phone system which came with Cisco Presence. So now I have the Cisco Jabber client also being introduced to the mix. I have three main aims - use one IM solution, it must integrate with the phone system and must integrate with Exchange/outook.

For phone system the obvious solution is Cisco Jabber, for Outlook, we've got Lync and that's been setup and in use by staff. Cisco Jabber can apparently fully integrate with Exchange in the same fashion as Lync so I'm going to draw a line in the sand and say we're switching to that however I have the issue of the rollout/changeover. The one saving grace is that the IM solution was setup to be internal only so no need to worry about any non-AD contacts. However this also means no edge server in place and no option to get one, especially if we're going to replace Lync with Cisco Jabber. Also we're not worried about video since users dont' have the hardware for it, we're only talking about text IM and calendar integration.

So for internal use only, do I need to use an Edge server to get Jabber and Lync to talk to each other? I can put both installs on the users machines, get them to use Lync until the changeover is in progress and as I go along, remove Lync and get them to use Cisco however the changeover period is the issue. Given a variable timeline, I need users to be able to be able to communicate with some users on Jabber while others are still on Lync. Has anyone tried this without having to have an additional cost?

I also just recently discovered the issue of SIP addresses. we have Lync setup to use username@AD.domain.name but the phone system was setup to use a SIP of username@email.suffix.domain. Since all users have Lync they all have a primary SIP that works however with the switch to Jabber I need to change the SIP of the users or add a secondary SIP. I can do that manually however if I do, the Lync logins will break and users will be trying to contact users with Lync details, not Jabber. So that's why I need to have the two systems available to talk to each other, once the phones are all placed, Lync will be turned off, and I'll be disabling the lync accounts once the jabber login is going.

Can anyone help with this muddy situation?

Everyone's tags (4)
Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content