Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Device Name for Cisco Jabber

I found a document on Jabber Developer that explains all steps for the Cisco Jabber CUCM Setup Guide (http://developer.cisco.com/web/jabber-developer/jabber-sdk-cucm-guide), the phone type must be Cisco Unified Client Services Framework, everything fine, but says that the Device Name should be as ECP<username> when original setup guides says that must be as CSF<username>.

My users setup Device Name are as CSF<username>, but just to follow a best practice, should I change all Device Names to ECP<username>??

Regards,

Juan Carlos Arias

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I also configured the devices as CSFXXX in my lab and they're working fine, at least there is no problem that I know of if you keep it that way. If you already have something else configured as CSFXXX then it would make sense to change it to ECPXXX just for management purposes, that way you can diferentiate them.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

View solution in original post

21 Replies 21

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I also configured the devices as CSFXXX in my lab and they're working fine, at least there is no problem that I know of if you keep it that way. If you already have something else configured as CSFXXX then it would make sense to change it to ECPXXX just for management purposes, that way you can diferentiate them.

HTH

java

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

Ok javalenc, this issue is not important with this actual CUCM configuration cause it's running without any problem as you also said, but I'll take note for future CUCM setups.

Thanks,

Juan Carlos Arias

There's another thread on which someone mentioned some problems when using ECP for device name. Windows for jabber method of operation is the name of it. Do you have any configs using ECP??

Since I already have this in m lab working as expected i'll configure a couple of users with ECP and see if something changes, just wondering if you have something configured with ECP already.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

HTH

java

Hi, I've configured a deployment with Device Name as WIN, just to distinguish the Windows client..... everything seems to be fine with this so far. 

Are there any known issues with using WIN ?

What is the difference between CSF device and TCT, BOT or TAB Device.

Customer can be loging on iphone using with CSF  device but i dont know what is the difference between ucsf defice and others ?

Thanks

CSF - Jabber for Desktop

TCT - Jabber for iPhone

TAB - Jabber for iPab

BOT - Jabber for Android.

GTG

Please rate all helpful posts.

Thanks Gordon,

USer does not have a TCT profile but he can login also using with UCSF profile on iphone .I know that you indroduced information but i want to clarfy what is the difference between ucsf and others.

There's NO UCSF profile, it HAS to be just CSF+username.

Assuming you're using this in a full UC mode, you're able to login from pretty much ANY Jabber client there is, and even 3rd party options, and you'll get IM&P, what you will NOT get, is your device registered to CUCM, unless you have the right profile for it.

HTH

java

Yes we are using full uc mode. I understood but , I want to learn this question.Customer using CSF device name instead of TCTXXX device.What is the difference both of them.

In iphone, for the jabber, is it same to use csf device or tct device?

The question of the customer: Why do we have to define tct, bot, tab separately on each device? Isnt it sufficient only to define with CSF?

During my test, Iphone jabber can run with csf

I want to clarfy that what is the difference between TCT and CSF device  type ?

The difference CUCM devices types are needed for the different Jabber clients to work as soft clients.

If you have a user who only has a CSF profile, yet can use the Android Jabber client for phone calls, then I'm beaten. I don't know how this can work.

GTG

Please rate all helpful posts.

Is there a any documentation  explained this subject. ?

The Jabber documentation tells you what device type and prefix to use per device, which is what Gordon posted, if someone wants to know the engineering details as to why there's a need for all that, you won't find that in any docs, and that's not a topic that can be discussed here.

HTH

java

What happens if we use different username in device name and not same as user id in cucm while configuring Jabber?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: