Helpful
Replies

Difference between CUPC and Jabber for Windows

Md Hasan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Following I have found so far

1) Jabber for Windows doesn't CUPS LDAP as CUPC does

2) Jabber for Windows doesn't always use Application Dial rules from CUPS as CUPC does

3) Jabber for Windows does not support sRTP (no CAPF)

4) Jabber for Windows does not support Deskphone Video

Anyone knows of some other limitation of Jabber for Windows that CUPC doesn't have?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

A couple of others:

1) In Jabber you can't add your own contacts (e.g. your Mum) or anyone who isn't on CUPS

2) Can't enable 'In a meeting' status from within the application

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

View solution in original post

18 Replies 18

Md Hasan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

In reply to my own discussion

It would be nice to have summary of roadmap for major features. Most customer have the impression moving from CUPC to Jabber for Windows would retain most feature set.

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

A couple of others:

1) In Jabber you can't add your own contacts (e.g. your Mum) or anyone who isn't on CUPS

2) Can't enable 'In a meeting' status from within the application

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

1) and 2) in the latest post ('Pizza guy/Mom' contacts and enabling/disabling 'In a Meeting') are both targeted for the 9.1 release as are Deskphone video and sRTP.

1) and 2) in the original post should be supported today so please post any issues to the relevant mailers to get a resolution.

Regards,

John

For explanation -

1) Jabber for Windows doesn't CUPS LDAP as CUPC does.

- Jabber for Windows does not user CUPS LDAP profile configuration as CUPC 8.x does. It either automatically discovers or uses jabber-config.xml file

2) Jabber for Windows doesn't always use Application Dial rules from CUPS as CUPC does

- Doc here -

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/jabber/Windows/9_0_1/b_jabber_win_icg_chapter_0100.html#concept_F752432E9F06485EA773F8095CD7EEA5

"If Cisco Unified Communications Manager does not publish the dial rules that you create to Cisco Jabber for Windows,"

It did not do a good job in stating which version of call manager we need to run the cop file though. Does anyone know?

HI!

I've installed the version 9.1 of Jabber for Windows, however I cannot add external contact (Pizza guy, Mom). Deskphone Video doesn't work too.

CUCM 8.6(2)

CUPS 8.6(3)

Hi,

Deskphone Video:

Please check "Desk Phone Video Configuration" section in the admin guide. Also check the section "Desk Phone Video Capabilities" in 9.1 Release Notes for considerations and limitations that apply to desk phone video capabilities. Medianet is mandatory to install for deskphone video feature.

External (Pizza guy) contacts:

External contacts feature has unfortunately been pushed out to 9.2 release (in 1st half of CY2013). 9.1 supports Outlook contact search (users can search for, add, and communicate with local contacts from Microsoft Outlook).

As  a workaround you can add these contacts in Outlook and then access them  via Jabber. Note that these contacts should have an IM or email address so that  they could be searched and added in Jabber. If after adding such contact  you don't see them in contact list, then make sure that "Show offline  contacts" is checked in the View menu. I know its not ideal but  something you can work with until "Personal contacts" feature is  available.

Thanks,

Maqsood

Hi Maqsood!

Thank you for your reply.

Deskphone Video:

I've configured the Phone as described in the admin guide and I've also installed the medianet  file.

Now the computer is connected to  the PC port of the ip-phone, under help-connection status, "video for deskphone" is connected. Anyway, when I call from Jabber another user with Jabber and video for deskphone enable works only audio.

When I call a user with Jabber as softphone or a phone with integrated camera, the other user can see me but I cannot see him.

External contacts:

the Outlook integration is nice, but unfortunately the most users have Lotus Notes. I will wait for the release  9.2 and I hope it will be available as soon as possible.

Regards,

Mirko

Hi Mirko,

Please make sure that Medianet service is running on the machine.

• Go to the Services on your PC
  • Manage Computer -> Sevices and Applications
  • Then look for Cisco Media Services and check that it is enabled and started.

If it is not started then right click on the service and click start. If it is already started then please open a support case with Cisco TAC for further assistance.

Thanks,

Maqsood

Hi  Maqsood!

I have opened a TAC support case for the problem with deskphone video.

Now I 've a new problem with the outllook contacts on my PC: last week I added one contact to my Jabber to test this feature, I added also a picture and all works good.

But now I can't add any contacts, I configured e-mail or IM-address but in Jabber I can't find these contacts in the directory search (the test contact I added last week too).

Can you help me?

Thanks a lot,

Mirko

Hi Mirko,

In File > Options > Integration, verify that Microsoft Outlook is selected.

Thanks,

Maqsood

Hello Maqsood,

is this option also available in the on-premises version of jabber? I cannot find the tab "integration" under file > option.

Mirko

Hi Mirko,

Yes it is available for on-premises deployment. The Integration tab can be invisible for 2 reasons:

• You do not have a Conferencing Profile configured on the CUP server and have it assigned to that user
  • You have disabled meeting integrations via the CUP user page

If either of these conditions exist the “Integrations” tab will not show.

Thanks,

Maqsood

We haven't a conferencing server configured on CUPS. Do I need a conferencing server/profile to change this option?

The problem with deskphone video is solved with the help of Cisco TAC: it was a bug with the firmware version 9.2(1), we load the version 9.2(3) to solve the issue.

http://tools.cisco.com/Support/BugToolKit/search/getBugDetails.do?method=fetchBugDetails&bugId=CSCtq48538