Views
Helpful
Replies

Disable chat functionality of Jabber for specific users

Ihaveaquestion
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Although I think Jabber's chat functionality is a great tool to boost productivity, I'm also aware of the downside of it. It makes it very easy to trash-talk about colleagues without anybody knowing but the senders and recipients of the chat. Granted this also may be done by e-mail but it's a less attractive way of communicating due to the longer periods between reply's. (This off course is my own humble opinion, and should not be subject of any discussion...)

Therefore I would like to disable the chatfunctionality for most users and only allow it for upper management. Can this be done through LDAP or embeded Cisco users/profiles ? Or is it binairy limited to either EVERYBODY or NOBODY within the organisation ?

Or for example are you able to centrally log all communication so that you have a deterrent not to use the platform to discuss lunchplans and what awfull skirt your collegae is wearing today ?

Set-up

4 family owned companies sharing a family ICT-platform.

Citrix farm of 2 servers, based upon Windows 2008 R2 environment.

Cisco Unified Communications 9.1.2

Cisco Unity 9.1

Thanks for all the help !

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

It's not that simple, there's a 1:1 relationship between CUCM cluster and IM&P cluster, you would effectively be talking about setting up a whole new cluster just to do that, then set either an ICT or federate, depending on how you set this up.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

View solution in original post

15 Replies 15

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Chat has only one switch, and it's for ALL users, either on, or off.

You can configure compliance, you would need a separate postgreSQL server to log all chats that go thru IM&P for that. Just search postgreSQL on cisco.com for details on that, and the IM&P guide has all the details on how to configure the logging.

HTH

java

Hi,

Some more outside-the-box thinking: what about a internal Jabber1 application and Jabber2 application. In which Jabber1 allows chat and Jabber2 doesnt. What do I need in that case ? 2 presence application servers and will both coöperate well together ?

Best regards !

It's not that simple, there's a 1:1 relationship between CUCM cluster and IM&P cluster, you would effectively be talking about setting up a whole new cluster just to do that, then set either an ICT or federate, depending on how you set this up.

HTH

java

Hi Jaime,

Just wondering if you know if Cisco plan to add this feature (to disable chat for specific users) in a future release?

Keith

Unfortunately roadmap items are not something that can be discussed at CSC due to them being NDA, you'd need to post this in the partner communities, or reach your SE/AM for this question.

HTH

java

Jason Aarons
Level 6
Level 6

Lync has this but Jabber does not.

dustin.ness1
Level 1
Level 1

Disabling Chat for individual users is possible through the use of UC service profiles.  For example you can create a softphone only profile that has no chat function.  Assign users that you do not want to chat to that UC service profile. 

Have you tested this as an option? I have interests in seeing if this will work.

@dustin.ness1 wrote:

Disabling Chat for individual users is possible through the use of UC service profiles.  For example you can create a softphone only profile that has no chat function.  Assign users that you do not want to chat to that UC service profile. 

You don't really just disable chat by doing that, you remove all IM&P features because now the client is a softphone which only relies on CUCM.

It does what they want, but removes all IM&P functionality as well.

HTH

java

Hi Dustin,

Can you please advise how we can do that ?

I would like to disable chat function for few users. In UC Service profile there is no option to enable/ disable the chat function.

You mentioned: you can create a softphone only profile that has no chat function. How can we do that ?

Thank you 

Under User Management / End User / <user> disable "Enable User for CM IM Presence...."

With that only this user will not have connectivity to IM&P.

Can we disable chat for a group of people by removing chat option on Jabber xml file ?

What parameter are you referring to?

HTH

java

I am not referring to any policy. I wanted to know if there are any parameters available for disabling chat option in Jabber xml file like we have for enabling and disabling  HuntGroup (<EnableGroupCallPickup>false</EnableGroupCallPickup>)