Helpful
Replies

Federation and security / DMZ

etamminga
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi,

Design question;

Suppose a customer has a security policy to never expose an internal server directly to the internet and require all traffic to pass through a device/proxy/.... in the DMZ. How would this translate to CUPS/Jabber with XMPP federation?

The design guides only suggest NAT'ing the CUPS server XMPP port to the Internet . This violates the customers policy. I personally think the customer follows good security practice with his policy.

Regards,

Erik

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

4 Replies 4

Todd Volz
Level 1
Level 1

Are there any design guides out there for this?  I found a list of ports that the presence server uses:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cups/8_0/english/port/cupsportusage.html#wp40778

That list sould help, however I would prefer to see someone that has gotten this to work by possibly installing a CUP server in the DMZ and another CUP server in the Internal network so the DMZ server acts as a gateway/router...  However if it needs the same insternal access to the Active Directory server, CUCM server, clients, it wouldn't seem to gain very much.

-Todd

Hello All,

has anyone been able to manage a federation with external comanies / offers ?

What about the DMZ question ?

The guides in this part are not very clear.

And it somehow seems in opposition with other guidelines in security topics.

Regards

MARTIN STREULE
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi Erik

Did you ever solve this problem?

Cheers

Martin

Hi Martin,

I managed to get the federation working, but not via a DMZ. Static NAT translations on the outside firewall to the Presence server(s).

Rumors exist that state the next or a next Expressway solution will solve this in the future. Currently nothing can be done, unfortunately.

Regards,

Erik