Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IM&P and AD authentication when username is employeeID instead of samacountname

Hi,

I need to sync UCM with AD using something else than UPN or Samacountname, eg. the employeeID. I use AD for provisionig and authentication. This is the first time I have to do this, and I have some questions regarding the interworkings:

So on the presence server, the JID becomes : employeeID@XMPPdomain, eg. ID12345@company.com

But I wonder:

- when you log into jabber client, you need to use 'ID12345@company.com' as username. But where happens the necessary mapping so AD is able to find the password corresponding to the user with this employeeID?

- for IM & Presence : if I do a contact lookup, I find a coworking presence user, eg. bob@company.com. Where does this map to his corresponding JID so the presence can be retrieved for that person?

- to integrate the Outlook client so I can see the person's presence state, do I need to fill in the ProxyAddresses attribute with the JID?(ID12345@company.com)

- the IM address you see in the outlook properties of a user, where does that come from in AD? I assume it also needs to match the JID (ID12345@company.com)

I am using Jabber for Windows (latest release) and IM&P 9.1 (latest release)

many thanks for the feedback,

Juan

1 Reply 1

Juan,

When you log into jabber client, you need to use 'ID12345@company.com' as username. But where happens the necessary mapping so AD is able to find the password corresponding to the user with this employeeID?

If you are not mapping Samaccountname, you just need to specify that on the .xml file for the clients with the following lines:

<Directory>
 <UserAccountName>employeeID<UserAccountName>
</Directory>

for IM & Presence : if I do a contact lookup, I find a coworking presence user, eg. bob@company.com. Where does this map to his corresponding JID so the presence can be retrieved for that person?

DisplayName takes it from displayName on AD by default, it can be changed with 

<Directory>
 <DisplayName>XXXXX<DisplayName>
</Directory>

And I'm not familair with Outlook integration, Jabber gets the contacts from the Outlook PST file and merges the contact if they are the same, if not you see them under "address book" when you look for somebody. To see the presence status correctly from Outlook the username needs to be correct.

Hope this helps.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: