Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Jabber 9.6 Profile Picture Update

I'm testing the Jabber 9.6 client with CUP 8.6.5.

Using the jabber-config.xml file to have profile pictures show up in the client from a webserver.

It works fine, but I notice when you add the pictures to the webserver, the client will never update that contact unless you right click and choose View Profile.  Then the image updates and is cached locally.  Even if I log out of the jabber client, exit and log back in, the images do no show up. 

Same thing for your own profile picture, I have to click File, View my Profile then the image is downloaded.

If someone changes their profile picture, this will not update, unless you click to view the profile/ contact.

This is all I'm using in the the xml file to reference the pictures, is there anything I can do so when logging out and back into the jabber client, it will check and refresh the contact images if needed?  So I don't have to manaully view profile for each contact to get the image to sync up.

<Directory>

<PhotoUriSubstitutionEnabled>true</PhotoUriSubstitutionEnabled>

<PhotoUriSubstitutionToken>sAMAccountName</PhotoUriSubstitutionToken>

<PhotoUriWithToken>http://cgucsweb01.cgsys.net/sAMAccountName.jpg</PhotoUriWithToken>

</Directory>

17 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Interesting

I tested with Photos in AD and is working perfectly for me with Jabber Exit and Jabber Right Click on profile the picture changes.

Did not get a chance yet to test on web server. I will test that and get back to you. Will take some time to replicate the versions involved.

Can you open a case with TAC for this issue or maybe recreate the issue once and collect the PRT from Jabber and attch it here. I'll take a look.

Tapan

I guess the question I have, is it always required to right click the contact in Jabber and View Profile, to update the picture?

It seems like I always have to do that if I change the profile picture on the webserver, exit jabber and log back in, then I have to click view profile to force an update.  Is there any way to have the jabber client refresh the contact pictures when logged out and back in?

Cisco Employee

Yes

A right click and/or a Jabber exit should auto update the latest pic to cache of Jabber on the PC no matter where Jabber is pulling pictures from.

Tapan

Cisco Employee

An Exit and Relaunch of Jabber should Pull up the new changed images, no need for a right click > view profile on Jabber in addition to the relaunch.

Either of it will work

That seems to be what's not working for me.  I can change the photo on the web server.  Logout of jabber, Exit jabber, and then Launch, log back in and it dosn't refresh / update the image.  Even though I can at the same time go to a web browser, and type in the full path to the web server, to pull up the new current photo, jabber doesn't see to want to update it automatically, like i beleive it should.  I'm assuming the photo information I have in the xml file is correct, its pretty straight forward.

Cisco Employee

Check the cache for the updated pic :  Maybe Jabber is not displaying the pic and has the pic in the cache already.

So we are looking at two possiblities

1: You exit Jabber and re launch it and Pic is not updated. Check Jabber Cache if the image is present their? Most probably its not their but if the new changed pic is present in the cache then Jabber is not displaying it properly which is an issue and needs to be addressed which can only be done by going through logs.

2: Once above is complete You right click on profile and Jabber updates the Pic on the Window Check jabber Cache for the pic and you will surely see an image.

I want you to run wirshark on the PC for both instances separatley and check for http request with GET message!

Tapan

Cisco Employee

Photo Cache location

C:\Users\\AppData\Local\Cisco\Unified Communications\Jabber\CSF\Photo Cache

Tapan

I changed the profile pictures on the webserver.  Logged out and exit jabber.

Startup, and Log back into jabber.  The photo Cache has Not changed.  Still the old photo.

Wireshark doesn't show any http requests to my web server.

When I click File, View My Profile the cache is changed to the new photo, Wireshark shows http get request to the webserver for my photo jpg file.

Cisco Employee

Is it possible you can test with MS AD??

Tapan

Cisco Employee

I will need the captures also.

Tapan

Re: Jabber 9.6 Profile Picture Update

Wireshark captures attached.  Capture1 is the first attempt, Launch jabber and no contact photo updates.

Capture2 is after clicking View Profile on my contact and the photo updates sucessfully.

My source Computer - 10.4.2.52

CM Pub - 172.16.21.212

CM Sub - 172.16.21.213

CUP - 10.0.3.19

Photo WebServer - 10.0.1.84

Cisco Employee

Re: Jabber 9.6 Profile Picture Update

Thanks

How about test with AD?

Tapan

I'm not familar with jabber AD photos.  Whats required from me to test this?

Cisco Employee

If you have an AD server in the environment then you can locally place the following XML file locally on the PC without the following lines in the XML file:

true

sAMAccountName

http://cgucsweb01.cgsys.net/sAMAccountName.jpg

Edit the file to remove the above lines and save it. Location where you will find this file on your PC is

C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\Cisco\Unified Communications\Jabber\CSF\Config

Do not exit out of Jabber as it will pull the file again from your Call manager, just sign out and sign in after you edit the file and save it on local machine.

Active Directory Server

AD photo Edit Software e.g :

http://download.cnet.com/AD-Photo-Edit/3000-2192_4-75328061.html

Photos

User in AD sycnced to CUCM.

I removed the 3 lines from my XML file that related to the webserver for photos.

Uploaded a picture using the utility to an AD account.  The account shows the thumbnail photo attribute having a value now.  Its not pulling in the photo to the jabber client.  It just has the default blank photo.

This is what my jabber-config.xml file looks like now, do I need any statements here to refrence the new photo method?

cgcup01

cgsys.net

true

true

false

.exe;.zip;.rar

false

Cisco Employee

Hi Ben

I see you have opened a TAC case on this one. Its better we do not duplicate the effort now since i am from TAC as well.

Please do post the solution here which will be helpful for others

Thanks

Tapan

Did this ever get resolved?

Did this ever get resolved? We are experiencing exactly the same issue but we are running on 10.5

thanks

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content