Views
Helpful
Replies

Jabber 9.6 Windows not showing when users on call

rmcgurn
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

It's been a little while since I've ealt with Cisco's Presence solution.  Last time was in CUCM/CUPS 7.x train.  Trying to get things setup with CUCM 10 and IM and Presence (CUPS replacement?) 10, also Jabber Windows 9.6 running on Windows 7 x64 Pro.  One thing different from standard LDAP integration on CUCM side is that CUCM userID is the LDAP Work telephone number in Active Directory.  Since all users use Extension Mobility, it was deemed easier to use a numeric login for CUCM than AD username for logging into phones, as well as other UC related services. 

I understand that a global config file (jabber-config.xml) needs to be created and distributed to the Jabber clients, with an entry to reflect the "telephoneNumber" field instead of the default "sAMAccountName".  I hve done this, and now contacts once added actually show up in Jabber Windows client, that issue is resolved.  However, what I remember from CUPC/CUPC is that when a user was "off-hook" that presence status would reflect on the CUPC client, whether the user was using a softphone or tethered desk phone device.  This is currently not the case.  The only presence indicators I have with the Windows Jabber client is the default "away" after 15 minutes of inactivity the color next to the name changes to amber and shows away.  But no "busy" presence indication, or "on-call/on-phone" indications. 

There are other issues also that I'm running into such as not being able to share desktops between Windows users, even when on an active "voice-call" using softphone mode on both jabber clients.  The desktop sharing icon still shows grey.  I have enabled BFCP on the SIP trunk going to IM&P node so that shouldn't be an issue.  Possibly something with my jabber-config.xml file?  Im posting it at the bottom of this post.  I'm NOT familier with the jabber-config.xml file so it's been created based off what I've discovered online thus far.  However, this lack of presence is really getting to me. 

Also, when I check server health, this is what I get for the different aspects:

---------------------------------------------------

Softphone - Healthy

Protocol: SIP

Address: 192.168.10.10 (CCMCIP)

Device:CFS<USERNAME>

Line:1016

Deskphone - None

Protocol: CTI

Address: tbacucm01 (CTI)

Presence - Healthy

Address: tbacucm03

Protocol: XMPP

Port: 5222

Outlook address book - Healthy

Protocol: MAPI

Address: Outlook

Directory - Healthy

Protocol: LDAP

Address: ad.domain.com <name has been changed but it is the correct FQDN of the active directory domain>

----------------------------------------------------

The Deskphone is currently not logged in as I took this information so that doesn't bother me as when the user logs in via Extensin Mobility the deskphone integration works. 

Here is the current jabber-config.xml file.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

<config version="1.0">

<Client>

</Client>

<Directory>

<DirectoryServerType>UDS</DirectoryServerType>

<UserAccountName>telephoneNumber</UserAccountName>

</Directory>

<Policies>

<Screen_Capture_Enabled>true</Screen_Capture_Enabled>

<File_Transfer_Enabled>true</File_Transfer_Enabled>

<Disallowed_File_Transfer_Types>.rar</Disallowed_File_Transfer_Types>

<Video_Disabled>false</Video_Disabled>

</Policies>

<CUCM>

<PhoneService_UseCredentialsFrom>presence</PhoneService_UseCredentialsFrom>

</CUCM>

</config>

Should I change the jabber-config.xml file for:

<DirectoryServerType>UDS</DirectoryServerType> 

to

<DirectoryServerType>EDS</DirectoryServerType>

In my CUCM config, under User Management > User Settings > Service Profile > (Current Service Profile) > Directory Profile

I have 3 LDAP (AD) configured, "Use UDS for contact resolution" checked, "Use logged on user credential" checked, with correct username/password and Search Bases filled out as well as "Recursive search on all search bases" checked.

No Base filter and no Predictive search filter filled out.

I'm wondering if I'm better off unchecking the "Use UDS", changing the jabber-config.xml file to replace UDS with EDS, and either restarting the Directory service on the IM&Presence node or rebooting the IM&P node.

Do I need anything in Base filter?  States only for Advance Directory (is this a typo for Active Directory?)  Sorry, I admit that I'm not as familier with LDAP query/integration with CUCM as some may be.  Also, users are being synced from AD in CUCM via LDAP as mentioned before using the AD "telephoneNumber" attribute, and all is working fine there.

In IM & Presence Diagnostics it states that all users have an empty "Directory URI" field, which is true when I check the user info in CUCM, but I am not sure how to change that or if I need to.

Sorry for the long post, I tried to get any information that may be useful in here.  If I need to supply additional information I'll be happy to.  Any thoughts/suggestions are GREATLY appreciated.  Thanks all in advance.

Also, not sure if this is the correct place to post this, so if necesasary I'll post in the Unified Presence server section instead.  Thanks in advance.

Regards

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
CUCM 10 and IM and Presence (CUPS replacement?) 

Yep. CUPS got renamed to IM&P in 9.x and is slowly folding into CUCM as a feature instead of a separate product. In fact, in 10.0, your IM&P nodes are technically CUCM subscribers from an Informix perspective.

what I remember from CUPC/CUPC is that when a user was "off-hook" that presence status would reflect on the CUPC client, whether the user was using a softphone or tethered desk phone device.  This is currently not the case.

This still exists but is entirely server-side. CUCM sends a SIP Publish event to the IM&P publisher (or cluster if you have the SIP trunk defined using SRV records, an obscure configuration). CUCM will only send this event if: a) you have created the SIP trunk facing IM&P on port 5060; b) have defined that SIP trunk as the CUPS Publish Trunk in the Service Parameters for CallManager; c) associated an End User to the individual line appearence of the DN on each device. This is done on the Device Configuration / Line Appearence configuration page and is the very last option on the page. This is per-appearence, not once for the DN as a whole and separate from any Owner User ID or Device Association configuration. If this isn't done, CUCM won't send the relevent SIP traffic to IM&P for on/off-hook status.

ot being able to share desktops between Windows users, even when on an active "voice-call" using softphone mode on both jabber clients.  The desktop sharing icon still shows grey.  I have enabled BFCP on the SIP trunk going to IM&P node so that shouldn't be an issue. 

You need to enable BFCP Sharing on the SIP Profile of the CSF device, not the SIP trunk to IM&P. Literally the only thing that SIP trunk is used for is the on/off-hook status messages. No calls ever cross it.

Possibly something with my jabber-config.xml file?

You can disable desktop sharing within the file but then you wouldn't see the button at all. So, you should be good here.

I'm NOT familier with the jabber-config.xml file so it's been created based off what I've discovered online thus far. 

Lucky for you, there is a handy config generator for you to use:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-25778

I suggest changing the UC Services within CUCM to be in FQDN format. In other words, tbacucm01.domain.com instead of just tbacucm01. Without an FQDN entry, you're relying on the device to always have the expected DNS Suffix, which is increasingly unreliable with BYOD environments; the devices don't always behave well.

I'm wondering if I'm better off unchecking the "Use UDS", changing the jabber-config.xml file to replace UDS with EDS, and either restarting the Directory service on the IM&Presence node or rebooting the IM&P node.

This is a design decision and both choices are defendable. We appear to be leaning more toward UDS at this point since features such as Collaboration Edge will require it (Edge won't tunnel LDAP or CTI traffic, only SIP and HTTPS). So, if you plan on deploying Collab Edge, you probably want to stay on this front. Reasons for EDI include non-pervasive support of UDS or concerns with placing the query load on CUCM instead of distributed throughout the AD DCs. Remember, Jabber issues a directory query for EVERY call placed/received so your directory source is going to take a non-trivial load. I have also seen a customer who didnt do the recommended EDI remediation surrounding attribute indexing and proper AD Sites design be brought to their knees though.

Do I need anything in Base filter? 

If you don't specify a filter, it will choose the domain root by default. (i.e. dc=domain,dc=com). This is not relevent to UDS.

In IM & Presence Diagnostics it states that all users have an empty "Directory URI" field, which is true when I check the user info in CUCM, but I am not sure how to change that or if I need to.

You have to delete and recreate the LDAP Sync agrement in CUCM to make this work. When you recreate it, you will have an option on what attribute to map to the default Directory URI. Choose 'mail'. Perform a full sync and you should see any user with a Device Association and Primery Extension correctly define get their email address auto-populated on their DN. Be aware that the partition these URIs are in should be included in the Device CSS so it's actually dialable.

PS- No duplicate posts please.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
CUCM 10 and IM and Presence (CUPS replacement?) 

Yep. CUPS got renamed to IM&P in 9.x and is slowly folding into CUCM as a feature instead of a separate product. In fact, in 10.0, your IM&P nodes are technically CUCM subscribers from an Informix perspective.

what I remember from CUPC/CUPC is that when a user was "off-hook" that presence status would reflect on the CUPC client, whether the user was using a softphone or tethered desk phone device.  This is currently not the case.

This still exists but is entirely server-side. CUCM sends a SIP Publish event to the IM&P publisher (or cluster if you have the SIP trunk defined using SRV records, an obscure configuration). CUCM will only send this event if: a) you have created the SIP trunk facing IM&P on port 5060; b) have defined that SIP trunk as the CUPS Publish Trunk in the Service Parameters for CallManager; c) associated an End User to the individual line appearence of the DN on each device. This is done on the Device Configuration / Line Appearence configuration page and is the very last option on the page. This is per-appearence, not once for the DN as a whole and separate from any Owner User ID or Device Association configuration. If this isn't done, CUCM won't send the relevent SIP traffic to IM&P for on/off-hook status.

ot being able to share desktops between Windows users, even when on an active "voice-call" using softphone mode on both jabber clients.  The desktop sharing icon still shows grey.  I have enabled BFCP on the SIP trunk going to IM&P node so that shouldn't be an issue. 

You need to enable BFCP Sharing on the SIP Profile of the CSF device, not the SIP trunk to IM&P. Literally the only thing that SIP trunk is used for is the on/off-hook status messages. No calls ever cross it.

Possibly something with my jabber-config.xml file?

You can disable desktop sharing within the file but then you wouldn't see the button at all. So, you should be good here.

I'm NOT familier with the jabber-config.xml file so it's been created based off what I've discovered online thus far. 

Lucky for you, there is a handy config generator for you to use:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-25778

I suggest changing the UC Services within CUCM to be in FQDN format. In other words, tbacucm01.domain.com instead of just tbacucm01. Without an FQDN entry, you're relying on the device to always have the expected DNS Suffix, which is increasingly unreliable with BYOD environments; the devices don't always behave well.

This is a design decision and both choices are defendable. We appear to be leaning more toward UDS at this point since features such as Collaboration Edge will require it (Edge won't tunnel LDAP or CTI traffic, only SIP and HTTPS). So, if you plan on deploying Collab Edge, you probably want to stay on this front. Reasons for EDI include non-pervasive support of UDS or concerns with placing the query load on CUCM instead of distributed throughout the AD DCs. Remember, Jabber issues a directory query for EVERY call placed/received so your directory source is going to take a non-trivial load. I have also seen a customer who didnt do the recommended EDI remediation surrounding attribute indexing and proper AD Sites design be brought to their knees though.

Do I need anything in Base filter? 

If you don't specify a filter, it will choose the domain root by default. (i.e. dc=domain,dc=com). This is not relevent to UDS.

You have to delete and recreate the LDAP Sync agrement in CUCM to make this work. When you recreate it, you will have an option on what attribute to map to the default Directory URI. Choose 'mail'. Perform a full sync and you should see any user with a Device Association and Primery Extension correctly define get their email address auto-populated on their DN. Be aware that the partition these URIs are in should be included in the Device CSS so it's actually dialable.

PS- No duplicate posts please.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.

Jonathan,

Thanks for your prompt and detailed reply.  In regards to:

This has all been configured as such.  And no, the SIP trunk is by hostname, not via SRV.  I have the Line Appearance for all devices including the CSF devices associated with the correct user.   Side question, it is only the CSF device that Jabber uses, no need for a UPC device anymore as for the CUPC clients? 

Based on what you say:

"You need to enable BFCP Sharing on the SIP Profile of the CSF device, not the SIP trunk to IM&P. Literally the only thing that SIP trunk is used for is the on/off-hook status messages. No calls ever cross it."

Since I have no hook status on Jabber (or CUPC either for that matter.  I created a UPC device for a couple users and it works exactly same as Cisco Jabber in this regard, or doesn't work is more like it.) and the only thing that corsses the trunk from CUCM to IM&P is the exact presence I'm looking for, perhaps something in the SIP trunk config?  Not sure. 

Any other thoughts as to why no hook status being either transmitted and/or received?

Also a mis-type on my part regarding BFCP and the SIP Trunk.  BFCP is configured on the SIP Profile that the CSF devices use.  Still, no desktop sharing available.

In regards to the rest of the information, I appreciate it.  So Then for using UDS, things are setup correctly then?  Do I even need to have LDAP UC Directory services I created and then used in the Directory section of the Service Profile?  Or better to keep there for redundancy sake as documentation says for some clients who don't support UDS? 

In regards to the empty Directory URI, yes, I'll most likely change that eventually, but since it doesn't have any effect on the issues I'm experiencing right now, I'd rather resolve these issues first.  Once again Jonathan, thanks again.

Regards,

Ronan McGurn

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: