Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Jabber Chat History

I am using Jabber Version 10.5.5 Build 54590. My chat only saves for about two weeks, this is unacceptable. I need it to save the chat log since the beginning of time and never remove it from my log. Is there an addon that will save the chat to a file on my local drive? 

Everyone's tags (1)
9 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Afraid that's not possible on

Afraid that's not possible on the user end, if you enable chat history, you can only save up to 99 messages for each conversation, and that's not configurable. You'd need to enable compliance on the server side to log, and store, every single message and keep them as long as you want. But you'll need to access the DB or compliance server to see those messages.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdi

Yeah and you are going to

Yeah and you are going to need someone with SQL Knowledge to report on those chats. I've done it before it's not fun if you are not familiar with SQL.

Bronze

Hi Jaime,

Hi Jaime,

Will this also work for encrypted/authenticated Jabber clients?

Cisco Employee

Whether you're registering to

Whether you're registering to CUCM with security or not, has no bearing on compliance.

HTH

java

www.cisco.com/go/pdi

Why would Cisco want to

Why would Cisco want to prevent users from saving their chat? Years ago when I used yahoo chat, I could easily automatically save my chat as a text file.

It makes no sense why they would limit me to only about 2 weeks of chat history.

Anyway, I can right click and save a chat to xml. Do you know if there is a way I can save all chats at once?

Cisco Employee

If you want to pursue the

If you want to pursue the technical/political? explanation of why this was configured to work this way, you would need to do so via your AM/SE to discuss this with the Jabber team.

HTH

java

www.cisco.com/go/pdi
VIP Super Bronze

Not every customer believes

Not every customer believes keeping chat transcripts is a good thing. Some view it as a liability and want to keep it for the minimal amount of time required by the regulations they are subject to. In some cases, they even want to disable the "Save chat as" option. Welcome to the life of a product manager: rarely does everyone agree what the right decision is. This is why we have the jabber-config.xml file: customers can adjust Jabber's behavior to what's appropriate in their organization.

The EnableSaveChatToFile option I mentioned previously would save everything, not only the 99 most recent per contact, to HTML files. The File > Save chat as... option is limited to an individual conversation.

Team,

test

VIP Super Bronze

I agree with Jaime that

I agree with Jaime that server-side logging is the best approach here since it ensures 100% capture, even from mobile clients.

There are a few Jabber-config.xml parameters that you may want to look at though: 

EnableSaveChatToFile

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/jabber/11_8/cjab_b_parameters-reference-guide-jabber-118/cjab_b_parameters-reference-guide-jabber-118_chapter_0111.html#CJAB_RF_EB618188_00

EnableSaveChatHistoryToExchange

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/jabber/11_8/cjab_b_parameters-reference-guide-jabber-118/cjab_b_parameters-reference-guide-jabber-118_chapter_0100.html#CJAB_RF_EF42EDCA_00

You'll likely need a newer Jabber client build than 10.5 to get these to work, esspecially the second one.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content