Views
Helpful
Replies

Jabber Contact Lists

TimHuffman
Level 1
Level 1

All,

I have a couple of customers who want to have a default list of employees in groups in their Jabber contact lists.  In the past, I’ve been creating the list in a Jabber client, exporting the list as CSV, and then doing a mass import of all of the contacts.

This has worked well for me in the past, but one of my customers is wanting to update this with turnover, etc. This turns into a nightmare for them as you can’t delete old employees, and you constantly have to be updating a CSV file.

I know there’s a way to use an xml file in the file menu of Jabber to do some importing, but haven’t played with this too much. Does anyone have any other ideas as to the best way to achieve this without too much of a headache? Does anyone know if Cisco has a better way of doing this road mapped?

Thanks,

Tim Huffman 

17 Replies 17

In 11.x you can now sync AD groups and manage them directly on AD, all the user has to do, is add the group in Jabber, he won't be able to add/remove any users within the AD group.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

daniel.wheeler
Level 1
Level 1

Sorry for the thread necro, but I actually ended up writing a PowerShell script to grab the users from an AD group and create a Jabber import (xml) file from those users.

The script is as follows:

##################################################################################################
# JabberGroupImport.ps1
# Version 0.1.0
# by Dan Wheeler (daniel.wheeler@gmail.com)
#
# This script will build a Jabber XML import file from a given AD group
# The Jabber group name and the output file will be named after the AD group
# The output file will be placed on the current user's desktop
##################################################################################################

#change the group name within quotes to the group you wish to output.
$group = "<groupname>"

# DO NOT CHANGE ANYTHING BELOW THIS LINE
$activeuser = [environment]::UserName
$outputarray = @()

$XML_Line1 = '<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?> <buddylist>'
$XML_Line2 = '<group> <gname>' + $group + '</gname>'

$outputarray += $XML_Line1
$outputarray += $xml_line2

$users = Get-ADGroupMember $group | get-aduser
foreach ($user in $users)
{
$UPN = $user.userprincipalname
$displayname = $user.givenname + " " + $user.surname
$xml_userline = '<user> <uname>' + $upn + '</uname> <fname>' + $displayname + '</fname> </user>'
$outputarray += $xml_userline
}

$XML_final1 = '</group>'
$XML_final2 = '</buddylist>'

$outputarray += $XML_final1
$outputarray += $XML_final2

$outputarray | Out-File -Encoding ascii -FilePath C:\Users\$activeuser\desktop\jabber_$group.xml

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for this information.  Version 11 does AD groups by default, just have to turn it on.

Thanks,

Tim Huffman