Views
Helpful
Replies

Jabber Directory Search CUPS LDAP search context issue

mal-smith
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

We have  built CUPS 8.6.4, and are using the new Jabber for Windows  client and are hopeful to go production shortly, except for a couple of  issues.

1. We previously had CUPS 8.6.3, and CUPC 8.5 client, in lab mode for  testing, and in the LDAP Search Context field we had for example,

dc=workname,dc=com;&(ipPhone=*) and the only users in the CUPC directory were the users with a value in ipPhone field.

Now since going to the latest CUPS server version and Jabber Client  the Search Context field does not appear to work in the same fashion.

Not sure if anyone may have experienced or have lab tested but any feedback would be great.

Thanks

Mal

7 Replies 7

Muhammad Maqsood Mushtaq
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Mal,

This is a known issue in Jabber for Windows. We have a defect open for tracking.

CSCua39052: Search filter does not apply to directory search

Thanks,

Maqsood

Hi Maqsood,

Thanks for your response. Is there any time frame on the fix, as this could prevent a rollout to the organisation if generic accounts, etc show up in our directory searches.

And to clarify, using Jabber for Windows all config is done in the XML file now, so when the issue is rectified I would simply add the below to my directory section in the XML file, to only return users that have a value in the ipPhone attribute.

&(ipPhone=*)<\BaseFilter>

and therefore in the LDAP search context field, the following would no longer be required

dc=workname,dc=com;&(ipPhone=*)

Have I understood this correctly.

Thanks again,

Mal

Hi Mal,

Base filters specify the criteria for the search and Search bases specifies where in Active Directory to begin the search.

So you will specify your criteria in attribute and search context in attributes. You can specify upto five search bases according to the admin guide.

I can't give a timeline when CSCua39052 will be fixed. It is open as a high priority defect as other customers are facing same problem. Can you give me the customer's name? I can then update the bug with more details. This will help to prioritize this defect.

Thanks,

Maqsood

Hi Maqsood,

Thanks for your reply. If I understand correctly you would put the search in this order, for example.

ou=users,dc=workname,dc=com<\SearchBase>

&(ipPhone=*)<\BaseFilter>

which would be the same as LDAP search context, that is no longer required

dc=workname,dc=com;&(ipPhone=*)

The organisation I work for is the Gold Coast City Council, Queensland, Australia. As mentioned we are hoping to go into production in the next month once we have few issues sorted, which are with TAC currently.

Thanks

Mal

Hi Mal,

That is correct. Regarding the fix of CSCua39052, this defect will be triaged in the next few weeks. At this point we don't know the root cause therefore cannot suggest a timeframe. Please keep tracking this defect via bug toolkit for the expected release.

Thanks,

Maqsood

Hi Mal,

I have an update regarding CSCcu39052. Try to specify the BaseFilter and SearchBase attributes in following formats in your jabber-config.xml file:

Option A:

• (& (ipPhone=*) (memberOf=OU=users,DC=workname,DC=com)
  • No attribute

Option B:

• (&(ipPhone=*)
  • ou=users,dc=workname,dc=com

Let me know if Option A or B or both work for you.

Thanks,

Maqsood

Hi Maqsood,

I tried both options suggested, and both did not work. In fact I lost all users in the directory when a search was attempted and my name changed to the sAMAccountName from my real name.

Then I returned back to my original xml file as below, and all of a sudden it worked..It is now only recognising users in that have a value ipPhone. I will continue to monitor to make sure it continues to work but hopefully this is now fixed.

Cheers

Mal

EDI

true

sAMAccountName

http://xxxxxx2/pics/sAMAccountName.jpg
  ipPhone     
  (&(ipPhone=*)

presence

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: