Views
Helpful
Replies

Jabber for Windows 9.7.1 OnNet Calling Possibility

Robert Shaw
Level 3
Level 3

Hi All,

I have recently started playing about with the Jabber for Windows client 9.7.1 and have got it working for IM, Presence and also Calling.  I am using the freebie restrictions on the new CUCM Jabber for everyone license and have installed a cluster of IM and Presence Servers running 9.1.1.

I have configured the Jabber client to use my deskphone for calls and am able to place and receive calls through the Jabber Client.

The jabber client seems to pickup the telephone numbers for Contacts from AD which contains their external e.164 number.  Does it not have the ability to use the internal numbers for those entries in the Directory on Call Manager?  Or does it treat all calls as OffNet?

Thanks

Rob

10 Replies 10

Jason Aarons
Level 6
Level 6

If you do some research on telephoneNumber vs ipphone field and LDAP synchronization should point you in the right direction.

Are you using LDAP Directory in CallManager?

Normally the LDAP field telephoneNumber is e.164 and the field ipPhone is short version (4-digit/5digit etc).

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It does support UDS to look at CUCM for contact resolution, BUT you need to be running 9.1(2) and install a .cop file to enable it.

Right now your only option is to adjust this directly on your LDAP and possibly change the field mappings for J4W

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Hi Jaime,

Thanks for your response, we do have CUCM 9.1.2, so this may be an option.  I'll do some investigation into UDS.

Thanks for the pointer,

Rob

Hi Jaime,

On my initial investigation into UDS it appears it is only needed when you are using Collaboration Edge or UDS instead of LDAP for contact resolution.  As I am using LDAP integration with MS Active Directory does that mean that UDS does not apply in my case?

Thanks
Rob

Amit Kumar
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

From the information you have shared ; one of the two looks possible;

scenario 1 )Your PC is part of the domain from where the ldap (AD) contact resolution is happening.

scenario 2)  Or you have configured a jabber-config.xml to point to the AD for contact resolution.

In either of the two cases we will need to make sure that the end user being a contact has the ipPhone field added with the appropiate extension in AD.

-> If this is done then you will need to down the following;

For scenario 1) Please create a jabber-config.xml as follows;

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<config version="1.0">
 <Directory>
  <DirectoryServerType>EDI</DirectoryServerType>
<BusinessPhone>ipPhone</BusinessPhone>
 </Directory>
</config>

Note : When you will do this ; the work phone number will reflect what is configured in the ipPhone field for the same contact in AD; hence it is important to ensure that all contacts have this field populated with the appropriate value.

For Scenario 2)  There is good possibility that the <Directory> would already be created; just add this section within this portion of the file;

Also please note that the same field can also be adjusted as an other phone field;

<OtherPhone>ipPhone</OtherPhone>

this will keep the work number with the default telephonenumber option and will add a new field to the view profile section of the end user which is added as a contact.

// Look for a maintenance window to avoid confusion in a production network before trying this.

Please rate if this helps.

Hi Amit,

Thanks for your detailed response.  I have just tried this though and it doesn't seem to work.  I have the IP Phone field in AD Populated with the extension in CUCM.  In fact I use this field as an LDAP filter to bring through anyone in AD that has something in the IP Phone field to add as a user in CUCM.  After adding the file to C:\program files (x86)\Cisco Systems\Cisco Jabber the client doesn't appear to be any different.  The "Work" field still contains the +44121******* when it should only be 44121*******.  Is there something I need to do to Jabber to make it start using the new jabber-config.xml?

Thanks

Rob

Hi Amit,

Sorry, further to my previous comments I did a little more investigation and discovered that the jabber-config.xml file is distributed by TFTP from Call Manager.  I have set this up now and confirmed the XML config and all appears to be as you suggested, however it still not bringing through the IPPhone field from AD.  We are using the e.164 number in CUCM and therefore in the iPPhone field, would that have anything to do with it?  Is Jabber putting the + in as it recognises the number being an e.164 number?  

Thanks

Rob

Hi All,

After some more investigation I have come up with the attached jabber-config.xml, I still seem to get a + at the beginning of the Business Phone entry in Jabber.  Does anyone have any further ideas?

Thanks

Rob

AlexW75
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Rob,

i'm not sure but i could see in your jabber-config.xml file the following:

<BusinessPhone>ipphone</BusinessPhone>

Please try with the follwing;

As far as is know it's case sensetive.

Good Luck

Alex

Robert Shaw
Level 3
Level 3

Hi Alex,

Thanks for your response.  From what I have been reading since posting it appears that the client may not be using this anyway as it is installed on a Domain PC that has access to the directory.  However, it is strange as even if I change the telephone entries in the directory, it doesn't seem to update on the Jabber Client.  For example I made a change to a Mobile number in Active Directory yesterday morning and it still hasn't been reflected in the Jabber Client which has been reinstalled during that time and the History DB deleted and recreated.

Our ipPhone field contains the e.164 number 441211234567.  Is it possible that the Jabber Client is recognising this and adding this + sign to the beginning?  If so, is there a way of disabling this feature so that it just dials the number without the +.  As you can see in the screenshot attached.

Thanks
Rob

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: