cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Jabber for Windows 9

fraterb
Level 1
Level 1

I'm hoping to migrate our users from CUPC 8 to Jabber for Windows 9.  However, I've a few queries on the client.

The Contact Pictures work in CUPC but not in Jabber, is there additional configuration required for the Jabber client?

CUPC allows me to hover over a client and select multiple methods of communication.  However, Jabber requires a right click and e-mail has been removed.  Can the e-mail link be added via configuration on the CUPS server? 

Finally, does anyone know if a future release will have an option to not only Automatically start with Windows, but also start minimized?

Any feedback appreciated, currently this Jabber client doesnt match the functionality we use in CUPC, or need going forward (i.e. SSO).

thanks,

Bob

*Currently running CUPS 8.5.4

6 Replies 6

dbrucenyc10
Level 1
Level 1

We've noticed the same for all points raised by Bob above.

Additionally, we are unable to place external calls from Jabber for Windows (v 9.0.1, build 8628).  We get fast busy after a few seconds.  Internal calls are fine.  Are there patches needed for our version of CM for application dial rules to work properly?

CUPS - 8.5.1

CM - 7.1.5

Unity - 5.0

We've found CUPC version 8.5.5 to work the best, but as a reseller, we're eager to discontinue use of CUPC and have a unified message to our clients that Jabber is the Collaboration tool for all means of communication.

Best,

-Duncan

Yes, you have to patch your system. You will need to find the:

cmterm-csf-dialrule-wizard-0.1.cop.sgn      

- Description: The Dial Rules Wizard file that is needed to run the Dial Rule Wizard to create and deploy Application & Directory Lookup Rule.

For your version under the 'Cisco UC Integration(TM) for Lync' downloads.

Another question for me, is there going to be right-click click-to-dial operation for numbers on webpages?  The documentation states that it only does the 'tel:' URI's right now.  This is a turn off for me..

Hi Richard,

I'm having the same issues here with Jabber and external dialling.

I have installed the CUPC dial rules wizard (the one that is present in the admin pack for Jabber), but stil no joy with external calls.

I restarted TFTP services.

When running wireshark it looks for CUPC/AppDialRule.xml, but it cannot find the file.

Do I have to install the cop file in a CUPC directory? Or is there another step I am missing to create these dial rules for Jabber?

Regards

Oli

Jasmeet Sandhu
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hey Bob,

Cisco Jabber for Windows requires a jabber-config.xml file for Directory Search Features as outlined in this post:

Jabber for Windows cannot search LDAP user/not showing Picture after moving from CUPC

And as for retrieving Contact Images:

Having problems getting photos to display on the Jabber for Windows client?

SSO for On Prem deployment (CUPS) is targeted for the upcoming release in Cisco Jabber for Windows 9.1 around Q3.

We don't have any option for Start Minimized for Cisco Jabber and probably require an enhacement request for that feature.

Hope this provides some insight for Current Jabber functionality.

Regards,

Jas

Hi Jas,

Thanks for the e-mail.

Details on the Directory Search are excellent and it’s good to hear SSO will be coming soon.

How do I go about an enhanced request for Jabber to start minimised? This, along with SSO, is probably the only way we can go about deploying the solution companywide. Presence is needed companywide to have best value, though it’s a culture change that will be adopted slowly. Having the software automatically login and run silently will provide this.

Many thanks,

I’m also looking forward to Video Jabber on the iPad being released soon – this should expand the use of our VCS-Expressway service.

Bob

Sent: 28 May 2012 06:01

To: Frater, Robert

Subject: - Re: Jabber for Windows 9

Home<>

Re: Jabber for Windows 9

created by Jasmeet Sandhu<> in Jabber Clients - View the full discussion<>

Hey Bob,

As for the enhancement request, usually we recommend engaging the Cisco Account team and have them create the FER (Feature Enhancement Request) for any particular issue.

You can also open a TAC case and I'll grab it once opened and can create on behalf of you.

As for Jabber for iPad, it seems to be releasing in next month or so, however, as with any release, the release may be subject to change.

Regards,

Jas

Also, if the above response helped answer your question, please rate and select the Solution for this question.