cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Jabber for Windows directory trouble (CUCM and IM&P 10)

shikamarunara
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

I've recently completed an installation of IM&P, the services all seem to be running fine and I can search LDAP for people.  However, it's associating the wrong number in LDAP with the user.  What is odd is that CUCM is integrated properly with LDAP and am ability to specify the Telephone Number field as the 5 digit extension (via CUCM's LDAP directory settings).  No such thing seems to exist when I configure the UC Service, even if I select Enhanced Directory.

So, right now the Jabber client is trying to dial a 10 digit number instead of the 5 digit extension.  I'm eager to avoid a client-side fix.  Can someone help?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Nirmal Issac
Level 1
Level 1

Do you want Jabber client to fetch the information directly from LDAP? Else you can configure UDS and Jabber will fetch all information from CUCM.

Did you configure Jabber-xml config file? it will hep you in tweaking client side configuration globally

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Nirmal Issac
Level 1
Level 1

Do you want Jabber client to fetch the information directly from LDAP? Else you can configure UDS and Jabber will fetch all information from CUCM.

Did you configure Jabber-xml config file? it will hep you in tweaking client side configuration globally

Hi nissac,

Where is UDS configured?  Also, is Jabber-xml stored on the IM&P server?  I've read up on this and it seems like I would need to pull it from tftp, edit it, then re-upload?

The below guide will help you in configuring the config file.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/jabber/Windows/9_7/JABW_BK_C4C679C9_00_cisco-jabber-for-windows-97/JABW_BK_C4C679C9_00_cisco-jabber-for-windows-97_chapter_0111.html

you may use the below tool to generate the file

https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/106926/jabber-config-file-generator

The file is uploaded in CUCM TFTP file managenment tool (OS Admin page). We need to restart TFTP service after uploading the file. The file name should be jabber-config.xml

UDS can either be configured in the jabber-config.xml file - or in Service Profile.

Hi nissac,

I'm a little confused.  I do have UDS configured already, but I also have username and password set up for LDAP authentication.  Clearly the Jabber client is looking at the information pulled from LDAP.  Should I remove the LDAP credentials so that UDS will only be used?

Don't confuse things, users and authentication, are based on what you have configured regarding LDAP integration in CUCM, or local users. That's what they use to log into Jabber.

Contact name resolution on clients, is a whole different deal and it depends on what client you use, J4W by default looks for LDAP/GC SRVs from the domain you used to log in, that's EDI directory, UDS needs to be configured in the jabber-config.xml file, J4W DOES NOT use the UC service profile (only Jabber Video for iPad does). You can also fine tune your EDI integration via the .xml

All other non-windows clients (except from the above mentioned) use the BDI option in the .xml file, and that can be also LDAP/GC, or UDS, but that one has to be configured by hand, there's no SRV usage for other clients (in regards to contact resolution)

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

This is pretty over-complicated for such a basic thing.  I'll just set up a translation that'll take the 10 digit dial and turn it into a 5 digit extension.  Cisco needs to correct this, way too convoluted for something so basic.

Emmanuel Valdez
Level 3
Level 3

Hi shikamarunara,

In CUCM under System>LDAP>LDAP Directory choose your profile, then for "Standard User Fields To Be Synchronized" wich is the Phone Number value? the default value is telephoneNumber, can you change it to ipPhone? 

Finally access your LDAP and change the user properties and put the extension number under ipPhone value, save and synchronize your CUCM and LDAP integration and test.

Regards.

Hi Emmanuel - thank you for responding.  I've already configured CUCM/LDAP integration this way.  My CUCM Corporate Directory works fine, I'm able to dial from it and the users have the correct phone information.  For some reason, setting up the directory for Cisco Jabber doesn't work quite this way.  I wish there was a way to specify which phone number field to use without needing to upload a jabber.xml file specifically for this purpose.  Seems totally backwards, Cisco did it right in one spot but in another - not so much.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: