Views
Helpful
Replies

Jabber from outside the network

Scott Hanson
Level 3
Level 3

Hello All,

to allow Jabber connectivity on an iPhone/iPad without having to use a VPN is my only option to do a translation on the firewall of a public IP address to the private IP address of the Presence server or is there another method?

Thanks in advance.  Replies rated.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Geordie Guy
Level 1
Level 1

Pretty much your only option to access any service on a network is to be on that network (VPN) or have a public path into it (translate from the outside in).  We have split DNS so that jabber.ourcompany.com.au resolves to the internal IP of CUPS if you are VPNd, and if you're on the outside you get a public IP with the ports for Jabber NAT'd to the CUPS server.  What third method were you invisaging? What's the concern with these two approaches?

View solution in original post

Andy Rosado
Level 5
Level 5

Check with your Cisco Account Manager or SE about the Cisco Expressway-E and Cisco Expressway-C. It allows you to use Jabber without VPN. It also enables you to register a Telepresence device like an EX90 or EX60 to CUCM remotely without the need for a VPN connection. I am pretty sure that as long as you have purchased a CUWL-Pro license, the Expressway-E & C licenses are free. You will just need to hardware to install them on. We are currently using it and it works great!

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Geordie Guy
Level 1
Level 1

Pretty much your only option to access any service on a network is to be on that network (VPN) or have a public path into it (translate from the outside in).  We have split DNS so that jabber.ourcompany.com.au resolves to the internal IP of CUPS if you are VPNd, and if you're on the outside you get a public IP with the ports for Jabber NAT'd to the CUPS server.  What third method were you invisaging? What's the concern with these two approaches?

Andy Rosado
Level 5
Level 5

Check with your Cisco Account Manager or SE about the Cisco Expressway-E and Cisco Expressway-C. It allows you to use Jabber without VPN. It also enables you to register a Telepresence device like an EX90 or EX60 to CUCM remotely without the need for a VPN connection. I am pretty sure that as long as you have purchased a CUWL-Pro license, the Expressway-E & C licenses are free. You will just need to hardware to install them on. We are currently using it and it works great!

to allow Jabber connectivity on an iPhone/iPad without having to use a VPN is my only option to do a translation on the firewall of a public IP address to the private IP address of the Presence server or is there another method?

Use MRA for that.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate