Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Jabber Gateway

Hi All,

Sorry, Jabber/CUPC is not my specialty so please pardon any ignorance here.

Here is what my users would like, the ability to use Jabber for i-phone on company supplied i-phones. They don't necessarily want to federate, just have internal users be able to use jabber. There is resistance to using AnyConnect at the moment and I was asked to see if there were another way.

So, I believe we could add a DNS SRV record (e.g. jabber.comanyABC.com) and NAT it to our internal CUPS server (version 8.5). So I supplied the required ports (according to http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/jabber/iPhone/8.6/JABI_BK_J29330BB_00_jabber-for-iphone-admin-guide_chapter_010.html#topic_8B2E44B8B4A24DE1935408F2E1FC12BC), however they say LDAP port exposure is a show stopper.

Any guidance around this? Is there some sort of Jabber gateway that could sit in the DMZ (sort of like CUBE) or something?

Thanks,

Josh

1 REPLY
VIP Super Bronze

Jabber Gateway

Do not expose the IM&P cluster (except for XMPP Inter-Domain Federation) or CUCM to the Internet; neither product is intended to be exposed to untrusted networks. As you discovered, the current Jabber 9.0 apps for iOS consume a whole bunch of ports. Several of these - esspecially the SIP softphone - don't mix well with NAT to say nothing of the missing security mechanisms to run without a VPN connection.

In the 9.0 product, you need AnyConnect. I cannot discuss product roadmaps here; however, I suggest you talk to your Cisco AM/SE about your options now and in the future.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content