cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Jabber IM Sounds

jvanderwood
Level 1
Level 1

I'm using Jabber for Windows and am wondering if there is a way to change the Jabber IM sound? The default clicking noise is too soft and too short to be a useful IM noise for me. I found the imAlert.wav but when I replaced it, it made some noise but it wasn't the wav file I had copied over. Is there a specific format it has to be in? Is it limited to some length?

Changing the notification sounds should be something that is configurable from within the UI or through the Windows Sound manager. It is in many other IM clients and I am puzzled by its absence in Jabber.

I'd also recommend an option for playing the sound alert only when Jabber is out of focus to the options to have it play all the time or only for the first message.

Thanks for your time.

5 Replies 5

skomazec
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Jav,

There were tries with changing .wav file previosly and it worked in some cases (some small audio file with the same bit-rate as original) but this basically is not supported.

I would suggest you to contact TAC and open an enhancement request on ability to change IM notification sound.

For the other suggestion, there is already this functionality in Jabber under "Options->Sounds and alerts"

Regards,

Srdjan

I didn't realize TAC was for enhancement requests. Seems like they are a bit busy for that kind of stuff. It is just surprising to me that I would even need to suggest something like this considering WebEx Connect already has support for custom IM sounds. Feature parity seems like something you'd want, especially when you are competing with yourself...

As far as your comment about Options > Sounds, the functionality that I am asking for is not covered by the existing options. There are only two in the version I have:

Play sounds when:

Receiving all chat messages

Receiving the first chat message

There is not an option for playing a sound when Jabber is out of focus. This is an option I have seen on other IM clients so I know it is possible.

-Jay

Hi Srdjan,

I totally agree with Jay V. Last week our Cisco Webex Connect was upgraded (automatically) to Jabber 10.5.1 and same issue happened to us. We cannot change IM alert sound anymore. To add, our conversation history was all gone. It would be great if Cisco included a prompt informing the end-user that conversation history will be deleted and IM alerts modification will not be supported anymore. Its been a year since this issue was posted and till now, IM alerts seems not yet supported.

hallinanpv1
Level 4
Level 4

Long and short of it its not TAC supported, but actually quite easy to do once i found the right format.

go to the folder:  C:  Program Files (x86)   Cisco Systems    Jabber   S0unds and find the wav file called imAlert,   Use a media mixer file (I use the free version of Audacity) and copy this file into Audacity, then find a wav file of similar (does not have to be exact) length and paste the new wav file on top of the old one in Audacity, then export the file as a 16K wav into the same Jabber sounds folder as imAlert.wav, when prompted select overwrite.

Then sign out of and reset Jabber, dont know why this is necessary than just signing out, just know that until i did did not take effect.  Once i signed back in the new alert was there.  I isolated the Sonar Ping sound from the movie Hunt For Red October (because what is an IM after all if not a PING....:?)  I tried a couple other sounds as well, but this one stuck with me.  The one thing i cant explain is that i tried several times to just rename the wav file i wanted to be as imAlert, but it never took until i pasted over the original wav.

Ringtone was even easier, just pasted a wav file into the RINGTONES folder in the same folder as the IM alert, and as soon as i did it showed up as a ringtone option.

Agree Cisco spends a lot of time making these things hard to work with and apparently not a lot of time talking to actual customers.  Almost to a person they hate the selection of ringtones, and over 50% hate the default imAlert noise

egarcial
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
I found difficult to do it with audacity. I used itunes instead. I followup this guide:

https://support.tunecore.com/hc/en-us/articles/115006685288-How-to-convert-your-audio-files-to-the-required-format-using-iTunes-on-your-computer

On Windows 10 you need to use the following setting:
Sample Rate: 24.000 kHz
Sample Size: 16-bit
Channels: Mono