Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Jabber - iPad3 ; external calls fail ; cannot direct connect CUCM

Jabber for iPad 1.0.0 ( 6808 )

CUCM 8.5.1

CUPS 8.5.4

Using a 3rd-gen iPad, I have followed steps in the Jabber for iPad administration guide and created / setup device appropriately in CUCM.  I have succeeed in connecting to CUCM and am able to receive calls from internal extensions as well as receive calls from external callers; additionally, I can successfully place calls to internal extensions.  I am unable, however, to place calls to external numbers.  Could anyone with a similar configuration ( especially iPad 3rd-gen ) confirm whether they are having similar issues?

Application dial rules xml file is empty ( on TFTP ) ; also have tried ( without success ) creating an application dial rule within CUCM.

Another question (possibly related): I cannot "directly" connect to CUCM via Jabber.  I must first connect to CUPS, and once the app loads completely ( moves past the initial setup screen ), I can then connect my account to CUCM.  Trying to connect to CUCM first always gives error message, "Failed to connect to the specified server".

Everyone's tags (3)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Jabber - iPad3 ; external calls fail ; cannot direct connect CUC

Finally found the issue with outbound dialing for iPad ( and Windows ) Jabber clients in our environment.  I ran a debug on our voice gateway ( "debug isdn q931" ), which is connected to PRI circuits for PSTN.  Tested a call from the iPad and Windows clients and saw they offered "Unrestricted Digital" as bearer capability in the q931 setup.  Our "normal" phones (and, interestingly enough, the iPhone Jabber client) offered "Speech" instead. 

Solution was to force the bearer capability on our PRI by applying this config:

voice-port 0/0/0:23

bearer-cap Speech

voice-port 0/0/1:23

bearer-cap Speech

Bingo - outbound calls from iPad & Windows Jabber clients working properly for our environment.

5 REPLIES

The Application Dial Rules xml file (pre 8.6) will help you deal with situations such as for example where a user may not expect to have to enter a digit at the start of a number to dial externally. In our case to dial external numbers we require user's normally to enter a 9 before the number. With the Application Dial Rules xml file we look to see if that is missing, and if so we add it back in.

If entering the number like you would on a desk phone doesn't work, then your issue probably isn't related to the application dial rules, it could be just a Calling Search Space issue on that device.

I presume you've applied the COP file as the Admin Guide mentions to get the template of the Application Dial Rules XML in the first place?

Your Application Dial Rules file should probably look at least something like this:

I have additional lines such as

to spot when someone dials one of our numbers in its full DDI form (say 01234 567 xxx), we just chop the start off to return it to being just our four digit extension number.

As for your other question, if you're using CUPS and CUCM then you're supposed to setup Jabber for iPad with Presence first and then add the CUCM account anyway. It should still have worked to use the CUCM option though, try leaving the CCMCIP field blank if you're not already.

I agree that the dial rules should be used for those situations where we want to provide a better dialing experience for the user; however, I'm simply testing and don't (yet) have any need for dial rules (unless it actually fixes this problem.)  At present, both my Application Dial Rules ( in CUCM ) and my xml file ( via TFTP "CUPC" folder ) are empty.

Yes, I also agree regarding the instructions for setup of accounts in the iPad -- according to the admin guide, we are to setup presence first.  My problem is simply that I have no other option to make it work properly ( I *must* set up presence in order to get CUMC to work at all ).  Not necessarily a real problem, but I included this just in case it presented an issue.  You're right - it *should have* worked to setup just CUCM ( with a blank CCMCIP field ).

Strangely enough, I have the Jabber app for iPhone working properly ( it can send/receive both internal and external calls ). Have confirmed that the calling search space parameters in the device configuration are the same for both devices ( iPad and iPhone ), but still not working on the iPad.  Any other hints on what to look for?

Finally found the issue with outbound dialing for iPad ( and Windows ) Jabber clients in our environment.  I ran a debug on our voice gateway ( "debug isdn q931" ), which is connected to PRI circuits for PSTN.  Tested a call from the iPad and Windows clients and saw they offered "Unrestricted Digital" as bearer capability in the q931 setup.  Our "normal" phones (and, interestingly enough, the iPhone Jabber client) offered "Speech" instead. 

Solution was to force the bearer capability on our PRI by applying this config:

voice-port 0/0/0:23

bearer-cap Speech

voice-port 0/0/1:23

bearer-cap Speech

Bingo - outbound calls from iPad & Windows Jabber clients working properly for our environment.

Nice one Glenn,

I've spent too long trying to figure out why Jabber for Windows could not call externally.

The voice port setting fixed this.

Thanks

Oli

Hi Glen,

I was having the same issue with external calls not working with Jabber, while they were working with CUPC. The bearer-cap speech fixed the issue. Good Find.

Views
Helpful
Replies