Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Jabber or Communicator

Someone please explain this to me as the documentation kinda sucks...

Am I supposed to be using Jabber or Personal Communicator to utilize my Presence server?  Jabber seems to be the up and coming but all the documents talk about communicator.

I have installed both and see that the contacts sync between each other.  I do not see anywhere where Jabber can control my 9971 phone or make calls, etc...  I do see in communicator all the options for making calls to people on my list.

So if I want to do instand messaging and video calls initiated from the PC, which do I use?

Thanks.

Everyone's tags (4)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cisco Employee

Jabber or Communicator

You can use either, they both connect to CUCM and CUPS/IM&P for IM, voice and video.

Jabber does require some extra manual configuration to get all the features, CUPC got everything from the configuration on CUCM/CUPS/IM&P

Jabber is, or is going to be, the replacement for CUPC.

So if I want to do instand messaging and video calls initiated from the PC, which do I use?

Either one will work, assuming you have everything properly configured.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

www.cisco.com/go/pdi
2 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Jabber or Communicator

You can use either, they both connect to CUCM and CUPS/IM&P for IM, voice and video.

Jabber does require some extra manual configuration to get all the features, CUPC got everything from the configuration on CUCM/CUPS/IM&P

Jabber is, or is going to be, the replacement for CUPC.

Either one will work, assuming you have everything properly configured.

HTH

java

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

www.cisco.com/go/pdi

Jabber or Communicator

Alrighty, thanks.

Views
Helpful