cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Jabber or Communicator

Danny Mainprize
Level 1
Level 1

Someone please explain this to me as the documentation kinda sucks...

Am I supposed to be using Jabber or Personal Communicator to utilize my Presence server?  Jabber seems to be the up and coming but all the documents talk about communicator.

I have installed both and see that the contacts sync between each other.  I do not see anywhere where Jabber can control my 9971 phone or make calls, etc...  I do see in communicator all the options for making calls to people on my list.

So if I want to do instand messaging and video calls initiated from the PC, which do I use?

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You can use either, they both connect to CUCM and CUPS/IM&P for IM, voice and video.

Jabber does require some extra manual configuration to get all the features, CUPC got everything from the configuration on CUCM/CUPS/IM&P

Jabber is, or is going to be, the replacement for CUPC.

So if I want to do instand messaging and video calls initiated from the PC, which do I use?

Either one will work, assuming you have everything properly configured.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You can use either, they both connect to CUCM and CUPS/IM&P for IM, voice and video.

Jabber does require some extra manual configuration to get all the features, CUPC got everything from the configuration on CUCM/CUPS/IM&P

Jabber is, or is going to be, the replacement for CUPC.

Either one will work, assuming you have everything properly configured.

HTH

java

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

Alrighty, thanks.