Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Jabber plan to replace WebEx Connect and CUPC

Can someone from Cisco articulate the roadmap plan for

• WebEx Connect Client
  • Cisco Unified Presence Client

...in light of the FCS availability of 'Jabber Branded' clients for everything now? Are there subsequent releases planned?

I thought WebEx Connect {with CUCI Connect for UC} would be replaced by Jabber and the CUPC for Premise based deployments replaced by Jabber, and I would also only need Jabber for the Hybrid case as well?

But both WebEx Connect client and CUPC have features today, which Jabber doesnt yet, so my educated guess is you are obviously considering this as input for the Jabber roadmap and will not retire the older clients until you have a transparent transition capability?

• WebEx COnnect: Things like Broadcast Message, Group Chat History, Incoming Chat Popup, change status from system tray, view recent emails in contact list, import contacts, and P2P (1:1) video and audio, all possible in WC, but not yet in Jabber FCS clients.
  • CUPC: Things like Persistent Chat, CUP HA, Group Chat History, CLick to 'x' from Browser/Office, Desk Phone Video, Personal Contacts.

Another guess would be that WebEx Connect will continue in parallel, as there are many Cisco customers who enjoy the WebEx SaaS offering and are not Cisco UC infrastructure accounts, and so will continue to use WC?

But I cant 'guess' when I am standing in front of customers with severl hundred thousand dollars of CAPEX being proposed.

Appreciate as much guidance you can give here so I can compete using Cisco.

Steve

7 REPLIES

Thans for asking Steve, I and many others wouls like to know these answers.

And here i thought you worked for Cisco.

What i think needs to be done is get all the silos of product teams together under one person and get all the products done first, then ask the customers what the really want.....

Bob James

I realize this is an older thread, but it appears to never have been answered and I too am looking for the information.

Could someone from Cisco please advise?

Cisco Employee

With the upcoming versions of Jabber for Winows 9.1 or Jabber for Mac 9.0 the feature gap between Jabber and WC is getting smaller, and will get smaller with future releases.

Customer can decide, ie. WebEx Connect is obviously cloud only, so for example when they prefer cloud P2P audio/video, only WC can do this. However Jabber works both cloud and on-prem, moreover if you have CUCM and a complete audio-video infrastructure, you don't focus on P2P audio.

Can you be more specific on just how "close" the gaps are and when they will be filled. Don't forget Connect users like us are not going to switch over until parity is at least the same. Why would we wish to loose functionality?

Bob James

Cisco Employee

You not only lose, you also get features which are not available on Connect.

That's what I meant to say earlier, it's up to your priorities, and your deployment. One of the most important being standard based video. This is something you don't get with Connect. Many other Audio and Video related features are better on Jabber than on Connect now.

When will the 9.0 client for Mac be available and will it allow me to connect to my WebEx server?

Cisco Employee

It will be Jabber for Mac 9.2, and you can sign for the EAP at http://www.cisco.com/go/cug

Views
Helpful
Replies