cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Jabber Presence Bandwidth Requirements

Carwyn Jones
Level 1
Level 1

Does any body know where i can find documentation which explains clearly the Jabber Presence Bandwidth requirements.

I am looking to find information around how the number contacts increases presence traffic so this can be taken into account at remote sites with limited WAN tails e.g  5Mb or less.

I have an instance where signalling traffic has increased quite a bit since introducing the Jabber clients which appears to be presence traffic. in this case the customer is pre-loading 100+ contacts to the Jabber clients...

Also does anyone know of any methods which can be used to compress/reduce presence traffic e.g. use of a repeater or GRE tunnel which i have seen used in other vendor presence solutions.

4 Replies 4

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This is completely dependent on what you have configured, CUC, TMS, softphone, deskphone, number of contacts, etc. You need to do BW analysis of your environment to get baseline numbers.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Thanks Jamie, this is a standard CUCM,CUC, IM & Presence ver 9.1 deployment, with Jabber Windows and Iphone Clients.

so sounds like as you load up more clients and contacts you need to keep doing a BW analysis to track the the impact of presence usage compared to a baseline?

are there any other tools of information we can use to better plan for this?

I did find this document which has some calculations for interdomain presence. but it seems like there is nothing which covers single Domain deployment scenarios.

http://www.xmpp.org/internet-drafts/draft-saintandre-xmpp-presence-analysis-00.html

i found the following link which does explain a bit more;

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/srnd/9x/uc9x/presence.html

the following paragraph is important to note:

The traffic generated between Cisco IM and Presence clusters is directly proportional to the characteristics of the presence user profile. For example, assume presence user profile A has 30 contacts with 20% of the users on a local Cisco IM and Presence cluster and 80% of the users on a remote Cisco IM and Presence cluster, while presence user profile B has 30 contacts with 50% of the users on a local Cisco IM and Presence cluster and 50% of the users on a remote Cisco IM and Presence cluster. In this case, presence user profile B will provide for slightly better network performance and less bandwidth utilization due to a smaller amount of remote cluster traffic.

- Please rate if this helps.