cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Jabber Unable to Connect to LDAP. (EDI) No issue with BDI

rattelmattias
Level 1
Level 1

When Users connect from Outside the network, our Config is setup to use UDS.

Inside the Network we are using EDI.

Remote Users connect via VPN and are unable to contact the LDAP server using EDI on Jabber.

However MAC users (which uses BDI) have no issues getting to the Directory.

Is there a way to configure Jabber Windows Clients to use BDI when the connection to LDAP using EDI fails?

Basically if Jabber (Windows) cannot connect to the LDAP Server, can the Client be configured to use BDI as a failover.

5 Replies 5

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

No, there's no failover, if the directory option you configured is wrong, or fails, you would need to manually change the .xml config file to do that.

And NO, the BDI option is never used by J4W, it only uses the EDI option. It will simply ignore any BDI directory tags in the config file

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

I see that BDI has a Use Jabber Credentials setting. wherein the Client can use the Presence Server Credentials to sign in to the Directory Server.

Is this an option for Windows Clients?

We do not want to specify a connection username and password.

Yes, in case you haven't, you should review this

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/jabber/11_0/CJAB_BK_C1247C0B_00_cisco-jabber-parameters-reference-guide.html

All the directory related tags are there.

HTH

java

I have reviewed it.  Your previous reply stated that BDI is ignored by the windows client.

There is no "Use Jabber Credentials" for EDI

Per the Document:

By default, Cisco Jabber for Windows uses Integrated Windows Authentication when connecting to the directory server. This parameter lets you manually specify a username in scenarios where it is not possible to authenticate with the directory server with the user's Microsoft Windows credentials.

Under the BDI settings you can enable or disable using the Jabber Credentials.  Since Integrated Windows Authentication is not available for some of our users, and we do not wish to have a plaintext username and password (read-only access or not); and we do not have the bandwith for UDS; what are the remaining options?

OK, I actually thought you wanted the user credentials

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/jabber/11_0/CJAB_BK_C1247C0B_00_cisco-jabber-parameters-reference-guide/CJAB_BK_C1247C0B_00_cisco-jabber-parameters-reference-guide_chapter_01001.html#CJAB_RF_U6142A00_00

You don't have a lot of options here, unless you configure your LDAP to work with anonymous users, and I'm not even sure that would work.

HTH

java