Views
Helpful
Replies

Low audio quality between Jabber for Windows 9.0.3 and IP Phone 9951

skirk1983
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

We are currently testing Jabber for Windows 9.0.3 in our inviorment. We have a mix of Cisco Unified IP Phone 9951 and Cisco Personal Communicators. The audio quality between the devices is HD Audio. But when I call between Jabber for Windows and IP Phone 9951, the audio quality is not HD voice. But between Jabber and CUPC it is HD voice. And also between CUPC and 9951 it is HD voice. Very strange!!!

Does anyone know what to do?

Cisco Unified CM Administration: System version: 8.6.2.20000-2

Cisco Unified Presence Administration: System version: 8.6.2.10000-44

Thanks in advance

Kristian

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello Kristian,

Jabber to Jabber will negotiate G722.1. There is not xcoder that would support HD voice. I was given to understand that the G722 support is on the roadmap in 6-12 months.

In other words, no HD voice between Jabber and Cisco phones for now. 

Greg.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Muhammad Maqsood Mushtaq
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Kristian,

Is RTCP enabled for 9951 phones? Check Jabber Admin Guide for more information.

Thanks,

Maqsood

Hi Maqood and thanks for your reply.

I have tried your suggestion but no luck unfortunately. The audio quality is still not HD voice between 9951 and J4W. Are there any other settings I need to set maybe?

Best regards

Kristian

Hi Kristian,

Please open a support case with Cisco TAC for further assistance on this.

Thanks,

Maqsood

Will do thanks.

Kristian

I have done some more investigations. It seems that J4W don't support G.722 codec?

Where can I see which codec are used in a conversation in J4W? In CUPC we had Call statistics. 

9951 to 9951: G.722

9951 to CUPC: G.722
CUPC to CUPC: G.722

9951 to Jabber: G.711u

CUPC to Jabber: G.711u

Jabber to Jabber: ?

Thanks

Kristian

Hello Kristian,

Jabber to Jabber will negotiate G722.1. There is not xcoder that would support HD voice. I was given to understand that the G722 support is on the roadmap in 6-12 months.

In other words, no HD voice between Jabber and Cisco phones for now. 

Greg.

Hi Greg

Thanks for the information. Where did you hear that? My Cisco partner did not know this. But is sounds correct. To bad that it's not supprorted yet .

Hello Kristian,

I've gone thru the data sheets, the 99XX and 89XX phones use G722 for HD while Jabber has 722.1 which is not compatible (different codec type compared to G722), I've also tried to create xcoder profile that would include both 722 and 722.1 on the IOS GW, only to find out that 722.1 is not on the list of codecs that can be included (in  IOS 15.2) . Armed with that I've reached out to our SE and he had confirmed the findings. 722.1 is newer, lower BW HD codec (less BW at 24 and 36 and lower MIPS compared to G722). I am not sure is phone's firmware upgrade will add the ability to support 722.1 in the future.

Hope this helps.

Greg.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: