Views
Helpful
Replies

Retaining Jabber IM History

BlueyVIII
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Apologies if this has been asked before but I've searched the Support Communities and can't find an answer to this one.

We're looking to deploy Jabber across the Enterprise (with a CUPS Server) and our Corporate Governance team have a requirement to retain all instant messages exchanged. Previously we used Microsoft OCS and all messages were stored in a central SQL database for historical reporting purposes.

Is there a way we can do this using Jabber/CUPS?

If not, then they may accept the Jabber History files being re-directed onto a Server FileShare so it wouldn't be lost if the user's computer was re-imaged/lost/stolen etc. Is there a way to do this, preferably using a Group Policy within Active Directory, or a login script.

Has anyone else found an innovative way to do this?? Most of the threads I've read appear to from people looking to make sure the history is deleted, this requirement is for exactly the opposite!

Thanks in advance.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

If you search postgresql on cisco.com you'll get the documentation for the version you're using, as for the CUPS config, the CUPS deployment guide (also on cisco.com) has the information about setting up compliance, or search "compliance + CUPS"

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

View solution in original post

i created a step by step guide that may help;

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/unified-communications/unified-presence-version-80/117735-cups-postgres-00.html

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes, that's called compliance, and you need an external PostgreSQL DB for this, or if you're on 10.5, Oracle is also an option.

HTH

java

Thanks for that Jaime - Are there any guides that talk through setting this up?? I've looked on the Cisco WebSite could can't find anything that gives a step by step guide on how to setup the PostgreSQL server and then how to configure the CUPS server.

My database knowledge is fairly limited, as are my linux skills so a step-by-step guide for dummies would be really helpful! :)

If you search postgresql on cisco.com you'll get the documentation for the version you're using, as for the CUPS config, the CUPS deployment guide (also on cisco.com) has the information about setting up compliance, or search "compliance + CUPS"

HTH

java

Thanks Jaime - I found this guide and it worked perfectly -> http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/unified-communications/unified-presence-version-80/117735-cups-postgres-00.html

We now have a fully functioning compliance database :)

i created a step by step guide that may help;

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/unified-communications/unified-presence-version-80/117735-cups-postgres-00.html

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: