Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Service Pack? Next Version?

Hi There

We waited for and delayed our Cisco Phone/Presence rollout for Jabber 9.01 (we never had CUPC/IP Communicator), but frankly are a bit surprised at many of the "not in this release" or "planned for future" or simply things that apparently were in CUPC/IPCom that are not in Jabber.

Three questions come to mind:

1. Is there a roadmap that can be shared out?
  2. Are there beta clients that I can test/use?
  3. When is the planned release date of the next version and what will it bring?

Some of the things that bug me:

1.) No way to clear chat history (except delete a file.. not really a solution)

2.) Have to be on soft phone mode to use desktop share or video

3.) Have to individually set the Sync presence server with Calendar option for each user (can't do it in Jabber or globally in CUP)

4.) Click to call in word/excel uses smart tags, something MS has started to deprecate with Office 2010. It's really not usable in those applicaiton's when using 2010 (which is a few years old now).

It's interesting, we used to run MS Communicator, which as a 5 year old client (we never went to R2) is more feature rich than Jabber when it comes to IM/app integration/presence options.

All that said, the client design is pretty nice, and it does work well.. Phone integration is pretty seamless for calls/etc.

I'm sure it will get there, but a roadmap would be excellent.

-Henry

Everyone's tags (5)
6 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: Service Pack? Next Version?

Hey Henry,

I am totally with you on this. The initial release of Cisco Jabber for Windows doesn't include some key features which are in CUPC. As you know there are business decisions behind this, which are beyond our control. That being said, our development is aware of all the points which you've mentioned as other customers are looking forward to them as well.

Since you have already heard the verbiage, "PLANNED", "No ETA", the reason behind this is that we are aware the Dev team is working on those features but no specific date has been commited for them.

As for the features you referenced above, I can alteast tell you that:

1) Chat history is being worked on and targeted for later release.

2) Desk Phone Video Sharing is one of the key features which is planned for the Major Release 9.5

3) Due to changes made on the client side, currently the only way to enabled Calendering is via CUPS User Option Page as outlined in the KB article here: https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-24555

There is an enhancement request raised again CUPS for enabling the status in BULK but then again no particular ETA.

4) Smart Tags is the only current functionality for Office products Except Outlook.

In general there is no fixed date which is avaialble for these features and this is where you can leverage your Cisco Account Team to engage the Product Development team to get an ETA on the said features or any further questions or concerns you have.

Hope this provides somewhat info you are looking for.

Regards,

Jas

Re:Service Pack? Next Version?

I'd echo Henry's comments. Thanks Jas for keeping us informed as possible.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

Cisco Employee

Folks I have an update on the next release. The tentative release date for Cisco Jabber for Windows 9.1 is Sept but that is subject to change, so you would atleast see the Desk Phone Video Sharing feature in the upcoming major release.

Also, among other features, the following two are welcomed in the upcoming release:

Adding External Contacts: (Currently you can only add contacts which are Licensed for CUPS)

- Add personal contacts to client

Support for Single Sign-on (Open-AM) in On Prem Deployment (Currently SSO is only available for Cloud Deployment)

- Single sign on for UC manager integration

Best Regards,

Jas

Jas,

Do you know if the new release of J4W will allow the decoupling of the multiple chat windows?  Currently, J4W has the one main chat windows and other active chats will have separate tabs.  The problem with this is that you can't see multiple chats at the same time without selecting the tab.

CUPC v8.5.x did allow for both the grouped chat screen with multiple tabs, but you could also drag the a tabbed chat session out of the grouped chat window so that you can see both separate chats at the same time.

Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Arras V. Martin

Cisco Employee

Arras,

We do have roadmap plans to allow users to specify if they would like all chats to open in their own window or not as well as to allow users to tear individual tabs out of the integrated conversation window but these features will not make it into the 9.1 release due to prioritization of some other conversation window functionality. I would estimate that we should see these features in the Jabber for Windows client in an early 2013 release.

Mark

FYI Option 3.    *use with caution*

Login to the CUP server CLI and run the command:

run sql update enduser set enablecalendarpresence='t'

Views
Helpful
Replies