Actually alI final users are running Cisco Jabber for Windows version 9.0.1, is there an automatic process to install new client version 9.0.2 using jabber-config.xml configuration file??
Juan Carlos Arias
Specifies the XML file for automatic updates.
Cisco Jabber for Windows uses this URL to retrieve the update XML file from your HTTP server.
For more information about automatic updates, see Configuring automatic updates.
if this helps, please rate
I follow the configuration guide but I have some doubts how upgrades works, when I starts Jabber, does a windows pop-up opens?? How do I execute eh upgrade?? Cause nothing does, how can I ensure it's trying to upgrade??
On jabber-config.xml file, I called to jabber-update.xml like this:
And this is my Jabber update .xml file named jabber-update.xml
Here are a couple of recommendations, looking at your latest post.
Your XML is missing a closing tag. The XML parser Jabber requires opening and closing tags, otherwise the parser treats the jabber-config as invalid XML.
Try updating as follows:
The URL you specify in
To ensure Jabber can download the upgrade MSI, you should host the upgrade on a Web server. Then you should specify the URL of the upgrade MSI on your Web server as the value for
I hope this helps.
On both cases are generic examples, the full configuration is ommited and the URL is generic cause I'll use an internal web server. thanks for your comments.
Juan Carlos Arias
No worries. I've just checked a working set up. I'll try to describe the exact behaviour to see if that helps.
Here is the setup:
jabber-config.xml contains the following:
update_jabber.xml contains the following:
Here is what I see in the client:
If I'm signed in to the client, I can select Help > Check for updates. The client should check if an update is available and prompt me to download the update and then install it.
If an update becomes available, the next time I sign in the client checks for the update and prompts me to download the MSI and install it.
The behaviour I see is that a pop-up notification displays and asks me if I want to update the client version. When I click OK on the pop-up, a progress bar shows the status of the download. When the download completes, I'm prompted to exit the client and then the install program guides me through the installation process.
Again, I hope you find this helpful. Please let me know if you still have issues with the automatic updates and I can try to help some more.
Don Naro, thank you very much for your post, I still have some problem, your configuration that you have it's very similar to the one I'm using, this is my complete configuration:
jabber-config.xml file configuration:
And my jabber-update.xml update configuration:
Yes, it seems to me there is some invalid XML somewhere in jabber-update.xml. If a browser like IE doesn't display the entire XML structure, it is most likely invalid.
I've opened jabber-update.xml from the URL in your post. I get the following error:
I'm pretty sure there is something invalid in the XML that causes it to fail.
I can download the MSI from that URL, so the problem isn't with your web server.
I use Notepad++. I've opened your jabber-update.xml and viewed all characters. I'm still not 100% sure what the exact problem is, but there is definitely a problem with the XML that is causing it to be invalid. The problem occurs after the first
My suggestion would be to use a plain text editor like Notepad and create a clean version of both XML files. Hopefully that will solve the problem.
Also, remember that you must use utf-8 encoding.
Best of luck,
Finally, I got where the error is, the syntax is wrong, a CDATA section starts with the following sequence:
</p><p></p><p>and ends with the first occurrence of the sequence:</p><p></p><p>
and if you check the jabber-update.xml file, it's missing a ´>´
Thanks for your comments.
Juan Carlos Arias
Of course! I knew it was something small like that, but didn't see it. I'm glad you sorted the problem with the XML. Hopefully your automatic updates will work smoothly now.